Help with the run....??

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by DarleneE, Mar 8, 2014.

1. DarleneE

DarleneE Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Riverview, Fla
    My husband is building a coop for my two hens. The coop has to be in our lanai which has a two foot cement block wall and then the screen above that. The coop itself is 10'long, the roost is up above the run and the nest is then attached to the roost with a divider creating two nests.Now the dilemma!! What would you put on the floor of the run which is all plywood?? We are thinking of putting a few squares of grass sod on one end and the rest wood/pine shavings. However..I'm thinking of ease of cleaning as well as safety for my two hens!! Does anyone have any better ideas please?? I'm new to this site.. but am going to try to attach a picture of the coop in progress. Thanks!![​IMG]

2. jetdog

jetdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2013
    Massachusetts
    You could put a piece of vinyl flooring down it makes for very easy cleaning, I would be careful with the sod it will probably have fertilizer and other chemicals in it, check Lowe's or home depot flooring department for a clearance shelf I got vinyl tiles for .05 cents a piece, $1.28 for the whole floor.

1 person likes this.
  3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    It looks like the floor of most of the run is the tiles of your lanai.

Not sure what the lower plywood area is for...or where the roosts and nests are?
    Can you post a clearer pic of the inside?

4. DarleneE

Feb 9, 2014
    Riverview, Fla
    No no no the floor well be plywood. It's just not completely finished yet.

5. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Ohhh OK.

I used vinyl on floor and 8" up sides on my coop floor and use pine shavings.

Will they ever be able to scratch on real dirt?

6. keystone

keystone Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2014
    Omaha,NE
    I almost finished my coop last fall. What I didn't get done was the vinyl floor. It was getting cold so I put down a heavy rip-stop tarp. I deep pile pine shavings on top. My thinking is that this spring I can pull the tarp out with all the shavings and drag to the compost pile. If it works like I think I may not put down vinyl! I peeked under the tarp the other day and the subfloor looks like new. Simple, cheap and easy.

7. JanetS

JanetS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2012
    I would use sand. Easy clean up.

8. christinamae5

christinamae5 Out Of The Brooder

I agree with the sand. I am putting vinyl flooring on the inside of the coop and then putting a layer of sand on top of that. I am also going to put sand on the ground in their run. Easy clean up- just rake and scoop the sand, kind of like kitty litter. If you ever want/need to change all the sand out, just shovel it all out and replace. The vinyl flooring protects the wood underneath. Sand is good in the run because it allows for water to drain off instead of making mud puddles everywhere- they also have something to scratch around in, and it provides grit for their digestion.

9. DarleneE

Feb 9, 2014
    Riverview, Fla
    I LOVE the idea of sand with some vinyl flooring the best!! However my husband thinks it's gonna be too much of a mess being as it's gonna be in our screened lanai..?? He put some very very small wire on the coop so pine shavings will not be flying all over. However, in my opinion I'd much rather just sift the sand to clean daily and sweep than to have the soiled pine shavings smelling in there!! Cause obviously I'm not going to be changing the pine shavings everyday.. But instead just stirring it around.. or so I'm imagining..?? Would that be correct?? And as to the question above.. YES they will have free run on the grass everyday or MOST everyday!! At first with supervision until I'm certain they'll be ok.. then I'll let them loose in our fenced in yard.

10. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    An inch or so of sand will be easier to clean with a sifting screen without replacing it all like with the shavings...but it will more likely be kicked out thru the screen, but it could be swept up and put back In too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by