Help with thermometer please

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Skitz, Dec 11, 2016.

1. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    Hey guys so I am lost on which thermometer to go by. I have two $10 digital thermometers that both read 95f in the bator, BUT my two $2 alcohol thermometers both read 100f.

I was lost so I decided to calibrate the alcohol thermometers by putting them in ice cold water and only one of them read 32f the other read 22f. I want to go by the one that read 32f, but when I stick my hand in the bator it doesn't really seem warm enough, it feels like the 95f digital thermometers are right, but I did the iced water test on the alcohol ones and one read exactly the freezing point. [​IMG]

So confused and don't know what to do lol I feel like I'm just gonna go by the digital thermometers and pray for the best. What do you guys suggest? My digital thermometers are 'Acurite' from walmart here is a pic:

[​IMG]

I have not put the eggs in there, not before I have some input from you guys.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
  2. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    here is a post I found, I think I will just take my chances and go by the digital thermometers.

3. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    Okay I think it is respectful to keep a thread updated with what our findings to help those out with the same issue that they may encounter in the future.

I bought 3 different additional thermometers including an oral thermometer lol and I punctured small holes around the bator to stick the tip in and it was working fine at first (Was reading the temperature around 99f - 101f but later on I was no longer reaching that high with the oral thermometer, it would go as far as 95.

One of the original alcohol thermometers started synchronizing with a digital thermometer so I will be using those two as my final thermometers.

That is all of the updates that I have to give so wish me luck and I will keep in mind this thread to update the development of embryos (if I have any, which I hope I do!)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by