Help with ventilation and windows in this coop.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ColoredEggHome, Apr 17, 2012.

1. ColoredEggHome

ColoredEggHome Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2011
    Jacksonville, NC
    I need to figure out how to create some good ventilation and where I should place the windows in this coop.
    8' long 4' wide, 8' tall on the left side and 6ft tall on the right. The human entry door is on the right side in this photo.

[​IMG]

2. marlo1968

marlo1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2012
    Lorenzo, TX
    Coop looks good. For ventilation I would put windows up high, that way in the summer you can release the heat, and with the chicken door at the bottom it should cause a good cross flow. Maybe two windows, one on two opposite sides of the coop, depending on how warm it gets where you are. Best wishes.

3. nh104

nh104 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2012
    New Haven, CT
    i would also agree with 2 windows. placement depending on how the coop is positioned in regards to sunlight at times of the day.

as your in NC and it can get cold but not too cold or for too long, i would imagine, you could install a few gable type vents up by the roof line.

4. ColoredEggHome

ColoredEggHome Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2011
    Jacksonville, NC
    The back of the coop faces east. Here in NC we have some killer humidity and I just want to make sure they don't get too hot in there. We are planning to use plexi-glass for the window and I'm hoping to make it slide across or pop up/open to ventilate more (screened in of course) as well as letting light in. I also have a few aluminum vents from lowes with screens on them too. I just don't know where to place everything in order for it to be the most effective.

5. nh104

nh104 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2012
    New Haven, CT
    with those vents placed at or close to the ridge line you should get a good draw of fresh air through the chickens door and even better airflow with the windows open. If you are really concerned about heat in the coop you could go with a roof vent. The spinning type one actually has an insert you can by that is louvered and will close when air flow reverses during colder times.

6. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Here's some vents I added on my new coop.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by