Help with very swollen eye!?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sanna, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Sanna

Sanna Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Today I found my 7 month old Cochin, Lucille, with a very swollen eye. [​IMG]
    I have no idea what's wrong with her eye and have never seen anything like this. I'm hoping she got something in her eye and it made it extremely irritated....

This is the front view.
    [​IMG]

Sideview.
    [​IMG]

And her good eye.
    [​IMG]

What is going on with Lucille's left eye?? Could this be some sort of a disease and I should start freaking out?
    I can't find any cuts or signs of injury on the skin around the eye. Can't see anything visible in the eye either but that doesn't mean that there's nothing there..
    What do I do? [​IMG]

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    It's possible dirt or debris may have gotten in her eye or perhaps she scratched it.
    Boil 1 cup of water with 1 level teaspoon of salt, let it cool. Then liberally flush the eye with the mixture and hopefully the debris will be removed. Then put a little neosporin in the eye to prevent infection.

3. Sanna

Jun 27, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Ok. I did all this. The boiled water with salt and flushed her eye. Didn't make things any better.
    I also gave her some VetRx last night. Someone suggested doing this incase it was a sinus infection, and if it was something other than a sinus infection the VetRx should have flushed it out. She doesn't look any different today. I don't know how long it would take for her to start looking better if it was a sinus infection and after being treated with VetRx? Any other ideas, anyone? Or should I be taking her to the vet?

4. Sanna

Jun 27, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Well, so it turned out that Lucille had a tumor.
    I took her to the vet. $106+ and a whole bunch of medicine later...nothing worked. Tumor kept getting bigger and bigger, she lost vision in her left eye and finally she started showing signs of not feeling good. That's when I decided to put her down. [​IMG]
    Thought I'd post this incase someone else comes across the same issue.

5. maggiemo

maggiemo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    Front Range Colorado
    Thanks for the follow up. I have had some problems with sinus stuff and I was searching 'swollen eye' a couple weeks back. You following up will help someone down the line I am sure.
    Sorry for your loss.
    mo

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by