1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

help with waterer for inside coop

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by the little zoo, Oct 24, 2014.

1. the little zoo

the little zoo Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2014
    Alnwick, Northumberland.
    Hello, can anyone tell me what is the best kind of waterer for inside my coop at night time. One that won't get knocked over or get sawdust kicked into it?
    I keep there food & water in there run as they are in there all the time except for when they are sleeping.
    Do they need drinking water in there coop over night or are they just sleeping with out need of water during the night?

Hope you can help

2. DRGLENNON

DRGLENNON Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2014
    Homosassa Springs, FL
    I would love to hear responses as well, I have figured out that if I raise the waterer up on a cement block it stays cleaner but I have been through several and have not found one I really like. Hopefully someone will come along and help us both.

3. David1998

David1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2014
    Houston, Texas
    Provided they're only in the coop at night and can go to the run soon after waking up, no need for food or water in their coop. They don't eat or drink while sleeping.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
  4. jrode

jrode New Egg

Oct 10, 2014
    I bought a chicken fountain... Google it... My birds adjusted very well to it & they loved it! I hated how nasty their water was & I love the fountain! It was about 80$ & I asked them to assemble it for me ( I wasn't comfy doing the glue myself). But now my birds are loose in the yard & would prefer to go to where the hose drips, so they do what they want in the end!!

5. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    For all the posters to this thread....I would highly recommend a horizontal water nipple bucket for those of you who are having problems with spilled water, dirty nasty water, etc. Whether you have water available to your girls in the coop and/or run, this is the BEST solution.

At the bottom of my post you will see my link to making these. I'm 70 years old and made mine in less than 20 minutes!

[​IMG]

I have had no leaking whatsoever, my girls "got the hang of it" in less than 30 minutes, and all is well in chicken land here! [​IMG]

6. petrel

petrel Chats with Chickens

You could suspend the waterer from the the ceiling of the coop, instead of setting it on the floor. Since my coop is part of a chicken tractor, everything hangs on a chain from the ceiling. That gives me complete control over the height and keeps everything pretty clean. Any hanging waterer will do.

My coop has an Ador1 automatic door. When my flock is not on supplemental lighting, feed and water consumption in the coop is very minimal, because they are "released" at sunrise.

7. DRGLENNON

DRGLENNON Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2014
    Homosassa Springs, FL
    Looks like it would work great. I am going to try it. Thanks!

8. evemfoster

evemfoster Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2014
    NE, Wa.
    Oh wow i just ordered the horizontal nipples to put on a 2 gallon bucket this morning.

Glad to hear they will be so easy to attach to the bucket. Thanks

9. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    That's great! One thing...make sure you use a 3/8" drill bit only. When you do the drilling keep your drill bit facing "dead-on-straight" to the bucket...that's key. and when you screw in the nipples, same thing, too...nice and "straight on". Only 'snap' your lid in one spot so it has air for the nipples to work. I think you'll be more than pleased...do let me know!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
  10. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    I totally agree. Once they go to roost,they don't eat or drink at nite. Unless you lock them in, no need for a second feed/water set up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by