Help with wet chickens

DieAloneWith72Cats

In the Brooder
Oct 17, 2020
Wet chicken help

How do I train my chickens to go into their coop when it rains? They hide under the trampoline instead of going in the coop every time. They don’t get completely drenched, but they do get wet. We live in Southwest Florida, we get very heavy rains during the spring and summer.

We’ve had them since they hatched 18 months ago, this isn’t new behavior. They readily go in their coop to lay, eat, and we have no problems with them putting themselves to bed at night.

As fully-feathered adults with free access to shelter they can be trusted to get as wet as they want to be and no wetter.

Here are mine out in the 40-degree rain getting soggy by choice one day last winter: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/wet-hens.1442537/

Mine have also been seen foraging in their wet run between hurricane rain bands.

Chickens know how to be chickens better than we know how to be chickens. They'll go in if they really need to. :)

Wet chicken help

How do I train my chickens to go into their coop when it rains? They hide under the trampoline instead of going in the coop every time. They don’t get completely drenched, but they do get wet. We live in Southwest Florida, we get very heavy rains during the spring and summer.

We’ve had them since they hatched 18 months ago, this isn’t new behavior. They readily go in their coop to lay, eat, and we have no problems with them putting themselves to bed at night.
They'll be fine.
Your screen name had me about spitting coffee :gig

My 3 silkies 1 polish and myself all just got drenched...for bout 30 mins drenched! Soon as we got a break from heaviest of rains we all headed to coop...do I need to do anything to insure they are ok?
I've read where silkies do not need to be wet. New to all this and our first full week in the new coop and teaching them only way I know how to...and well yeah pop up heavy rain got us all bad.
Yes they do normally have shelter to go to - but in order to get them to go into coop at night, I have to close the run doors - otherwise I can't coax them out to me or into coop.

Last edited:
My 3 silkies 1 polish and myself all just got drenched...for bout 30 mins drenched! Soon as we got a break from heaviest of rains we all headed to coop...do I need to do anything to insure they are ok?
I've read where silkies do not need to be wet. New to all this and our first full week in the new coop and teaching them only way I know how to...and well yeah pop up heavy rain got us all bad.

Did they have free access to shelter and choose to get wet or did they have no access to shelter?

Are they wet only on the surface or wet to the skin?

If they were trapped without shelter and wet to the skin I'd think that it would be important to get them dried as soon as possible.

Mine have access to covered spaces...they can go into their coop, under their coop in their tractor, under awning, etc. Here’s 2 of them yesterday as wet as can be. They used to find cover and lately seem to just enjoy getting as wet as possible (unless it’s a heavy downpour, then they seek shelter). I figure, chickens gonna chicken and just let it be.

My goats seeks shelter at the tiniest drop and the ducks could care less.

Attachments

• D58B2F3B-26A0-4514-A14F-EB6B5D9599BB.jpeg
    D58B2F3B-26A0-4514-A14F-EB6B5D9599BB.jpeg
    667.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 9CFC9E4C-01BF-4C38-8C49-478682C3DA3F.jpeg
    9CFC9E4C-01BF-4C38-8C49-478682C3DA3F.jpeg
    500.1 KB · Views: 7
Did they have free access to shelter and choose to get wet or did they have no access to shelter?

Are they wet only on the surface or wet to the skin?

If they were trapped without shelter and wet to the skin I'd think that it would be important to get them dried as soon as possible.
Long story...they normally do have access to shelter.
I've dried them with towels and placed them in garage with heat lamp on - do u think that will help? I couldn't really tell if they wet to the skin or not.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom