Help with wheezing hen!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Leto420, Oct 6, 2016.

1. Leto420

Leto420 Just Hatched

Oct 6, 2016
    Hi there I commented on a post under respiratory illness and someone suggested I start my own post. Just figured it out. So yesterday my one hen (Dora) appeared hot gaping mouth breathing and purplish crown. When I brought her in to examine her she had very labored breathing. I made a cage for her with a nesting box and food and water in our garage away from the other 5. She calmed down and the color to her crown returned to bright red. I noticed watery stuff flew out of her nose when she shook her head and she had inspiratory and expiratory wheezes. Yesterday she laid an egg before all this happened. Today she is eating and drinking but still has the wheezing. Any help would be very appreciated!

2. blairctchickens

blairctchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2016
    North East Kansas
    I would repost this in the Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures Forum, for you will get a better response to your needs. right now I have no answer but I can help look and hopefully let you know what I find.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
  3. blairctchickens

blairctchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2016
    North East Kansas
    This was on the thread you started on and were directed to start your own. so same information you might of already read but all I could find to help you out. Good luck!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wyorp Rock [​IMG]

I'm sorry you are having trouble.

Can you tell us what medication the vet prescribed?

There are no "cures" for respiratory illness. The best you can do is give supportive care. Your vet most likely gave you an antibiotic, this will only help if there are any secondary infections. Since she hasn't responded to medication, then most likely she has a virus.

Make sure she is eating well and add some poultry vitamins to her water if you have them.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1135250/gasping-for-air#post_17601764
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1136457/trouble-breathing
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1136532/breathing-issue#post_17607818

Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
  4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

1 person likes this.
  5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Leto420, and :welcome. Pleased you joined our community. Hope the above links will help you gather some useful information! Best wishes! :)

1 person likes this.
  6. Leto420

Leto420 Just Hatched

Oct 6, 2016
    Thanks everyone I was able to pick up some antibiotics today and started her on them right away. The other 5 girls are happy and showing no symptoms......they are happy and sun bathing and dusting like usual. Dora ate some cucumber and food. Let's hope this helps. Had the garage door open all day and she has been resting comfortably all day in the sun and shade. Thanks everyone. Also should I treat the others too or just wait n see?

7. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

Good luck with your hen! I would not treat the others. If it's something infectious, you want to know as soon as you can, and treating will likely prevent them from showing any symptoms that would indicate this. If they remain asymptomatic, it was most likely a simple, non-contagious issue your other hen is having (rare but plenty possible).

1 person likes this.
  8. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    WELCOME!!!!!!!!!

1 person likes this.
  9. Leto420

Leto420 Just Hatched

Oct 6, 2016
    Good morning! So the other girls are totally fine and showing no symptoms. Dora is doing better and was very energetic this morning and even ran out of her cage. When I picked her up the darn wheeze is still there.....she has no other symptoms. I brought her some cucumber (her fav) and she gobbled it up. Wish there was an easy answer for this.

10. FarmerTony

FarmerTony Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2016
    I would cull her, but if its a pet, switch her to baby food (24% starter/grower), preferably medicated. Start her on tetracycline and a vitamin supplement. The tetracycline wont directly help with the respiratory ailment, but it will take the load off her immune system from fighting other garden variety opportunists. Keep her segregated from the rest of the flock until the issue is resolved one way or the other.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by