Help with Wild Bird Problem

Mamachic1967

Songster
8 Years
Apr 1, 2015
Hi all!

For 2 days I've been chasing these little birds out of the chicken house inside my barn. they're going after the chicken feed. I figured out that they are called White Crowned Sparrows, a winter bird. They've also been hitting my patio door. How on earth do I keep them out of the chicken house. I'm keeping the wild bird feeders full so they won't go in but they're eating me out of house and home! Please help! Here's a picture of the culprit!

Hi all!

For 2 days I've been chasing these little birds out of the chicken house inside my barn. they're going after the chicken feed. I figured out that they are called White Crowned Sparrows, a winter bird. They've also been hitting my patio door. How on earth do I keep them out of the chicken house. I'm keeping the wild bird feeders full so they won't go in but they're eating me out of house and home! Please help! Here's a picture of the culprit!

First close ALL of your wild bird feeders. I am unsure who told you that if you fed the wild birds that would prevent them from raiding your chickens' feeders but that information is crazy. Wild birds are just as greedy as us humans are. Maybe more so because wild birds are unable to read keep out signs and thus they are like the predators that prey on chickens and are only returning to a rich feeding ground.

Next add some small mesh wire or netting to exclude wild birds from your coop or run. Wild birds are enormous reservoirs of poultry diseases and parasites. Free range is a good thing but a free lunch for every beger bird with it hand held out won't cut it for long in the poultry bizz.

But that started this problem, the wild bird feeders were empty so they went after the chicken food instead. :(

Thank you for the information you provided. I mentioned to another member that the feeders were empty and then they just showed up one day and got into the coop. So we filled the feeders and they stayed out of the coop. At least until the feeder emptied. They're getting in through the trap door that I open daily for the girls to go outside. I covered the one window to their house but that will only keep the birds trapped inside the coop. They are very greedy and bossing the other birds out of the feeders. I never expected to encounter such a problem of them getting into the coop! Very frustrating!

Put up bird netting were they are getting in your coop, or are you feeding your chickens in the run? I never feed mine in the run, all food is kept inside the coop. I have predator problems and it attracts them if you have it out in the run. Use bird netting. Cheap and easy to put up. I don't have a clue what to do with your pop door. You could take the chickens feeder away only feed them what they will stand there and eat give it back to them in the evening and take it away in the morning. Once the wild birds think the food source is gone they might stop coming back. Have you tried moving it?

Netting is a great idea, and would probably do the trick. I switched my chicken feeders to PCV pipes and I wouldn't be able to remove them but maybe cap them. But the netting would probably solve the problem. Does farm stores carry the bird netting?

Back
Top Bottom