1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP with young birds gender

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by elizabethjg, Dec 6, 2016.

1. elizabethjg

elizabethjg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2016
    Texas
    This light brahma "Fancy" was bought at the feed store as a three day old chick. She has looked like a pullet for her entire life, and she's 3 months old. I feel like these pointed tail feathers appeared out of no where! Girl or boy?[​IMG][/IMG]

2. elizabethjg

elizabethjg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2016
    Texas
    [​IMG]

3. CherriesBrood

CherriesBrood Chicken Photographer

It's hard to tell, I can't see any shiny feathers on him/her. If it's a boy you would see shiny feathers on the neck and tail, if you don't see any yet keep a look out for the next month, if there is none by then and its comb and waddles get no bigger it should be a female.

4. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    With that amount of comb development, it's a cockerel. Brahmas are very slow to mature. It takes a while for the male specific feathering to show up.

5. CherriesBrood

CherriesBrood Chicken Photographer

Actually I wouldn't determine that just yet, I had a light brahma and it developed a red comb like that early too, but it turned out to be a girl.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    cockerel

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I think it is a cockerel.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by