1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help with Young Hen

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Nortonsmom, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Nortonsmom

Nortonsmom Out Of The Brooder

Oct 16, 2009
    Ellenboro NC
    I have a young hen who is about 10 months old and started laying eggs about 2 weeks ago. She broke the first one. I grabbed the next 2 and threw them under my silkie. She laid another 3 over the course of the past week. This morning there was one broken one and 2 left...when I got home tonight they were all gone! I've read that they hide them but she is penned in with a 20x40 run and 8x8 coop....I shuffled through the shavings but didnt find a thing....Im not sure what to think at this point...is she hiding them? Will she really sit on them??? Should I fire up my incubator??? this is my first time keeping a turkey long enough to lay and I'm not sure what to do...pointers please!!![​IMG]

2. FarmerGilland

FarmerGilland Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2011
    On Top of the Mountain
    I really don't know what to tell you...my turkeys are 9 months and I incubate mine..

3. wolfie115

wolfie115 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 12, 2011
    What breed is she? If she's a BBW or BBB, when sitting on the eggs she could be crushing them by mistake and if she's crushing them chances are she's eating them too which may be the reason your not finding them. If she's a heritage turkey I don't know what to tell you except she (or something else) may be breaking them and eating them. I'd take the eggs and incubate them until she gets a bit older.

4. Nortonsmom

Nortonsmom Out Of The Brooder

Oct 16, 2009
    Ellenboro NC
    ok - hadnt thought about her eating them. I guess I'll start taking them from her. Thanks!

5. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Yes, you need to take them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by