Help with

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by balbrt1, Aug 6, 2013.

1. balbrt1

balbrt1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2013
    Illinois
    A pullet that is broody. One that is strange. She has no eggs to sit on. When will she stop?

2. Sophia5

Sophia5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2013
    Nobody really knows when a broody hen will stop being broody nor can anyone prevent a hen being broody.

3. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    Yeah that's pretty common. They seem to care little if there is actually something there to hatch lol

If you have no intention of hatching with her then seperate her from the nesting box for three full days and nights and I find they forget about it.

If you just leave them go they can sit and sit for weeks and weeks. Often a lot longer than would take to hatch eggs. All the time getting skinnier and skinnier and not producing any eggs for you to eat.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  4. balbrt1

balbrt1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2013
    Illinois
    I guess I did not explain my problem completely She does not have a nestbox. She lives in house with me and her nestbox is the bottom of her cage! I take her outside for a couple hrs or more, she is loose in the house "with a chicken diaper" hoping she will forget about setting, but she does not. Down to bottom of cage with wings spread looking like a hen setting on eggs. It would be alot easier if she was using a nestbox. I need help!

5. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    Hmm that is going to be super hard. I think I've seen a thread on house birds. Maybe ask there for advice or edit that into your title so people with indoor chooks may notice it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by