Help! Wobbly 3 week old chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DownByTheRiver, Apr 5, 2018.

1. DownByTheRiver

DownByTheRiver Songster

Mar 31, 2018
    Northwestern Wisconsin
    Wednesday morning when I fed the chicks, I noticed the smallest one, a blue laced red Wyandotte seemed to have grown a ton in one day! But she also seemed very wobbly. They are on medicated chick starter/grower, on pine shavings, ina large enclosure, with a heat lamp in the corner. She’s eating and drinking fine, and poop looks normal. I have also given the same feed wet, and steel cut oats. No pasty butt, fresh water twice a day, grit is available. I started all of them yesterday afternoon on corid in the water, and they were all vaccinated for Mareks. She’s the same this morning. Any advice?

2. Stephine

Stephine Songster

May 30, 2016
    Sonoma
    pictures?

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It could possibly be an injury. What is your brooder temperature with a thermometer? Is there any runny or bloody poops? Make sure that she is taking plenty of water.

naynay1736 likes this.
  4. DownByTheRiver

DownByTheRiver Songster

Mar 31, 2018
    Northwestern Wisconsin
    It’s about 80. No runny bloody poops.

5. DownByTheRiver

DownByTheRiver Songster

Mar 31, 2018
    Northwestern Wisconsin
    A picture won’t show her
    Wobbling. I tried Uploading a video but it says the file Is too large.

6. DownByTheRiver

DownByTheRiver Songster

Mar 31, 2018
    Northwestern Wisconsin
    She is quite a bit smaller than the others...

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Just as long as she has a cooler spot to get to, that would be okay, or you could lower temp to 75 by 3 weeks old. You don’t want to give vitamins (thiamine) during Corid treatment, but you could use a little pedialyte or gatorade to mix the Corid for a day or so to get electrolytes into her. Some swear by a few drops of molasses orally as a boost, but not too much as it can cause diarrhea.

If she is small, keep the temp at 80 then.

naynay1736 likes this.
  8. Stephine

Stephine Songster

May 30, 2016
    Sonoma
    I am sorry, I thought you said she seemed like she had grown a ton in one day - wondering about swelling...
    If she is smaller than the others... the usual questions: how old is your feed? Check the bag for the date, it needs to be no more than six weeks old at the very most. With chicks with odd movements (uncoordinated, falling over, odd neck positions) a vitamin deficiency caused by feed that is either not properly formulated (if you mix your own without sticking to a recipe by an expert) or has gone rancid from being too old or improperly stored. Extra vitamins are the first course of action: nutridrench, a drop on the beak, add some to water (read the label about proper dilution), Save-a-Chick in the water or even just a bit of vit e oil on the beak if that is all you have handy (then get nutridrench asap - everyone with chickens needs to have some on hand). If vitamin deficiency was the culprit it should recover in a few days at most. If that doesn’t help it might have a genetic issue and there’s not much you can do. Of course check for a leg injury, too - but that is unlikely.

naynay1736 likes this.
  9. Stephine

Stephine Songster

May 30, 2016
    Sonoma
    Oh, and stop the Corid. You have no indication that they have cocci and this medicine makes vit b unavailable, which is not good right now.

naynay1736 likes this.
  10. Stephine

Stephine Songster

May 30, 2016
    Sonoma
    Finally - sorry this comes in pieces - no oats. You’re throwing off the balance of the feed. Give them tiny bits of raisins as a healthy treat (this will be good for the sick one too!) - and I mean tiny: one raisin cut into at least 12 pieces. They can have a few pieces each per day. Other treats can wait until they are all healthy.

naynay1736 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: