1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help ! Wobbly Turkey.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lydiagirl99, Sep 18, 2016.

1. lydiagirl99

lydiagirl99 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2016
    Michigan (By The Thumb)
    Hello ! I just bought two Bourban Red Turkeys today. A pair of them. The hen seems healthy but the Tom is having problems walking. he still gets around but he wobbles a lot and because of it, sits down often. I know nothing about these birds other than they ate chicken feed and watermelon for snacks. All of the chickens on the property were healthy and beautiful. I do not know how old they are but I'm guessing young as the Tom doesn't look that different then the hen. You can definitely tell them apart but he has no fan tail smaller facial features then I see in full grown turkeys.

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Has he improved? Have you given him an exam looking for possible injuries?

3. Justagurllll

Justagurllll Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2015
    Virginia
    Have you checked his feet for bumble foot? There could be a number of illnesses he could have but I would start my checking his feet ...

4. lydiagirl99

May 31, 2016
    Michigan (By The Thumb)
    I'll take some pictures and then try and post a video .

5. lydiagirl99

May 31, 2016
    Michigan (By The Thumb)
    [​IMG]

6. lydiagirl99

May 31, 2016
    Michigan (By The Thumb)
    I found these little bugs living on his behind. Yellowish little guys. What are they ? Could they be causing the problem ? and can Diatemaceous Earth get rid of them ?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    His feet look fine as far as I can tell. Maybe his ankles are a little swollen ?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    He also has this bald spot on his chest area. From the bugs maybe ?
    [​IMG]

7. lydiagirl99

May 31, 2016
    Michigan (By The Thumb)
    Please, anyone ? The female seems to be developing the same troubling leg symptoms, just it is not that bad right now. I just got these guys and want to keep them healthy.

8. lydiagirl99

May 31, 2016
    Michigan (By The Thumb)
    I need to find out if it's a problem I can fix or my dad is going to put them down..

9. Justagurllll

Oct 25, 2015
    Virginia
    Those bugs are lice!!!! That's what this puffy cotton looking things are around his vent ...

10. Justagurllll

Oct 25, 2015
    Virginia
    All of the cotton looking things are lice eggs ... I don't know if the walking strange has anything to do with the lice but they can also become anemic from it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by