HELP! Wormer or Tylan?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PoultryGirly, Mar 24, 2013.

1. PoultryGirly

PoultryGirly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    Hi. I have a hen who has been acting weird sometimes since the beginning of winter. My chickens sneeze sometimes and sometimes have a rattling sound in their chest. One of my hens hiccups a LOT and when she drinks she acts like there is something in her throat. She has been acting mostly fine and eats well. I first thought it was gape worm, so I gave them SafeGuard goat wormer today in their water. Now I'm thinking it might be respiratory. I heard it't not good to give tow medicines at once. After the worming is over, if it doesn't help, how long should I wait to give Tylan? Thanks!

2. mnferalkitty

mnferalkitty Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2012
    Minnesota
    I would wait at least 14 days.. Just remember chickens don't get colds they get diseases, In my ignorance of chicken ailments I had introduced a chicken with what I thought was a "cold" and it actually had a respiratory disease and it wiped out my whole flock plus 4 peacocks

3. PoultryGirly

Mar 28, 2012
    Yes, I understand. But the chickens have had this for several months now....so, yeah! Lol!

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Then you have a respiratory disease that doesnt wipe out your flock!

5. PoultryGirly

Mar 28, 2012
    So what should I do for that? Tylan?

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would look up the common respiratory diseases of chickens for signs and symptoms to compare. Some are bacterial and some are viral and won't respond to antibiotics. You might have something such as infectious bronchitis which is more mild, goes through the whole flock, but can affect egglaying and eggshells. Look at theis website: amerpoultyassn.com/respiratory-disease.htm

7. PoultryGirly

Mar 28, 2012
    The link won't work for me?

8. PoultryGirly

Mar 28, 2012
    So I checked out respiratory diseases to no avail. Their symptoms don't match! Now I'm wondering if the one hen has something stuck in her throat because she does this high-pitched hiccup a lot and it seems, when she drinks, there is something lodged in there. Occasionally there is a rattle in her chest and an occasional sneeze from her and the others, but that seems normal. Any ideas?

ETA: Also, all of my chickens act fine, eat a LOT (like pigs ;) ) and drink. In the mornings when I go to let them out of the coop, they all pounce out energetically.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  9. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sorry about the link. It worked a few month's ago. IB (infectious bronchitis) is characterized by a high pitched "hiccup" or sneeze. Some get it worse than others. It affects 100% of your chickens, and grown chickens don't usually die from it, but chicks will be much more ill and may die.

10. PoultryGirly

Mar 28, 2012
    I don't think it is anything of the sort! They act normal and stuff and their egg laying production is great! They pig out on food and eat it very fast! What is a broad-spectrum medicine for chickens?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by