Help! Wounded Chicken!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Fluffballs, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Fluffballs

Fluffballs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2012
    With my chickies!
    Hey guys! I had just come home from a class when we saw three of our chickens (we have five hens and a rooster) running around outside. Well, to make a long story short, we discovered that something had gotten one of our hens and that two others were hiding in the coop. One had a bloody wing and side. So, I need some help with what to do for the wounded hen (Miss Terry). As far as I can tell, the predator tore her wing, which I'm not too worried about. It's only feather-less and a little red. However, it also gave her a nice gash in her left side, and I can't see everything there. I don't think it punctured too deep, but I can't tell. I put some hydrogen peroxide on as much as I could reach, and then some bacitricain on it. She's in our (heated) garage in a cat carrier with food and water. Is there anything else I could do? Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  2. salt and pepper

salt and pepper Chillin' With My Peeps

all I can think of is to keep it clean, and sanitized, it should heal up by its self if it's not too bad. good luck!

3. Fluffballs

Apr 3, 2012
    With my chickies!
    Is there a way I can keep her from pecking at it?

4. salt and pepper

salt and pepper Chillin' With My Peeps

you could try to bandage it, but you would have to re-rap daily to make sure infection doesn't set in.

5. Fluffballs

Apr 3, 2012
    With my chickies!
    OK, thanks!

6. SilkiesForEver

SilkiesForEver Overrun With Chickens

Mar 24, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    Get some blu-kote (tractor supply store, or a feed store will carry it) and spray it on the wounded area. Its blue and will "disguise" the wound. I hope you little hen recovers very quickly! Keep us posted! [​IMG]

7. Fluffballs

Apr 3, 2012
    With my chickies!
    Well, Miss Terry seems to be doing fine. She's eating with the best of them! :) We're letting her outside for exercise for short periods of time, although I think she likes being in the warm house better. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by