1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help! Yolk sack problem

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by philyc, Jun 12, 2016.

1. philyc

philyc Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2016
    Suffolk, UK
    Help quickly please. Just went to check the hens and saw one of the pipped chicks has hatched with a large yolk sack art arched and not absorbed.

The hen was eating the yolk sack and not sat on it to keep it warm.

Please see the picture for how much its gone wrong. The chick is alive but cold so I put her under another bedpost hen who just hatched another chick.

[​IMG]
    Is there anything I can do to help? Is the chick likely to survive, should I move it inside to keep warm and away from the others?
    Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

take the chick away from the other birds! and just hope for the best, there isn't much you can do unfortunately. [​IMG]

3. philyc

Jan 5, 2016
    Suffolk, UK

Cheers. I drove to see a farmer down the road who I get my chicken feed from and he's incubating at the moment and had a beholder ready. So he sprayed the chick with anti bacterial and put it in the brood we and said he'll let us know how it's doing in about a week.

So we currently have 4 chicks hatched without problems, one is a rir the other three I'm not sure about. So here's a pic of two of the ones in not sure about, the lighter one has feathers on its feet. Well see what they are when they grow up I suppose!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 12, 2016
  4. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

aww!

5. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    I have been successful wrapping them in a must washcloth and setting them in the incubator door a day to absorb it. That one has been ruptured though so there may not be any hope.

6. BantyChooks

BantyChooks Turtle Rock Poultry Premium Member

Aug 1, 2015
    X2. And you can see the intestines peeking out. I had one like that; I ended up having to cull it. :(
    -Banti

7. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    xs 3

8. philyc

Jan 5, 2016
    Suffolk, UK
    Cheers all. A farmer friend is looking after it for me as I'm using two broodys not an incubator.

I have three eggs left with no sign of popping and its day 23. Hopefully they are just late as they are all low floater a in the float test. Only saw movement in one of them though

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by