HELP! Young Americaunas Lethargic & Puffed Up

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mckeesbackyard, Aug 26, 2013.

1. mckeesbackyard

mckeesbackyard Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2013
    White Mountains, AZ
    A friend of mine picked up some birds for me a week ago & when he got to her house she found out they were infested with lice! The breeder I got them fom gave thm some injectible Ivermectin orally before handing them ver to my friend. A week later (3 days ago) my friend dabbed them under their wings with ivomec pour on. I picked them up yesterday & saw that one pullet had a bare & a bit bloody patch on her back--she's covered with lice eggs & had been picked on. My friend said she suspects cocciodisis because she's puffed up, not eating nor drinking & very lethargic. I put her in a separate carrier & drove them home. When I got them home, I noticed that she had raspy breathing. I bathed them using Adam's Flea & Tick Shampoo & blow dried all 8 of them hoping to ease them of their stink & the discomfort of the infestation. Everyone were puffed up, lethargic, barely moving, hardly eating & drinking this morning. I figured the move would stress them but I heard sneezing, coughing & some raspy breathing from a couple of birds. And the pullet in isolation was still catatonic & breathing raspily. By mid afternoon, they started moving around a bit & pecking at their food except for the pullet that was really sick. What is wrong with these birds? Were the infestation & the move have caused them so much stress that they're like this or is there something else possibly going on with them?

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Coccidiosis does appear to be the most likely cause. They might have a respiratory disease too, but I'd treat for Coccidiosis first. Get some Corid, either liquid or powder. The dosage for Corid liquid is 2 teaspoons per gallon of water, and the dosage for Corid powder is 3/4 teaspoon per gallon. Give Corid for five days.

If respiratory symptoms continue, you should treat them. The disease might be viral, in which case all you can do is give supportive care. Electrolytes, probiotics, scrambled eggs, and warmth are good ideas.The disease could also be bacterial. If it gets worse, get some Terramycin, Duramycin, or Tetroxy HCA-280 (all of these are forms of oxytetracycline). Antibiotics can also be used if it is a viral disease to prevent a secondary bacterial infection.

Hope I've helped!

3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Hi, sounds like someone had some diseased uncared for birds. She may have heat stress. Bring her inside for a few days. Or dunk her daily in some room temp water outside. Ice and electrolytes in the water.

I agree with Wyandottes, I would treat for coccidiosis. I would also treat with Tylan and Corid. They can be used together. You may want to dust her with Sevin, and again in 2 weeks. I've heard conflicting stories about outer body parasites, but okay for worms. Ask Dawg53 about worms and what to use, and when.

She may also have heat stress on top of anemia.

4. mckeesbackyard

May 25, 2013
    White Mountains, AZ
    Thanks so much for responding! They were all except for the blue pullet, moving around a bit this morning. Also, they drank all their water with Corid (but what I read yesterday was 1 tsp/gallon so will make another mixture using 2 tsp), i have been mushing up hard-boiled eggs & mixing probios in it. They are pecking at their feed (starter at 20%) protein. I have nipple waterer in their shelters (mixture of water & electrolyte powder) but I don't think they're drinking from it. They have these massive poops with white film--it's gross not too stinky (I mean regukar chicken poop smell) but considering how they haven't been eating they're big! I think you're right about possible heat stroke--they came from Phoenix so it had been really hot down there & the pullet currently has one leg in her corid water! So, just take her out, dip her feet in cold water--this won't further stress her out? I will see if my feed store has some respiratory meds for poultry. When you say scrambled eggs, just scramble in pan without oil? Should I give them watermelon for added moisture? What about nutri-drench I have some on hand..?

5. Wyandottes7

Jul 24, 2013
    Yes, you can take her out and dip her legs in water. Also, you can try gently misting them with a spray bottle. As for the scrambled eggs, you are correct. You can also hard boil the eggs. Watermelon is fine as well (my chickens love it!). I don't see any need for nutridrench right now, but it wouldn't hurt them.

6. mckeesbackyard

May 25, 2013
    White Mountains, AZ
    Everyone is eating, drinking & moving around normally except for that little one. She hasn't eaten & I haven't seen her drink anything. I took her out a couple of times to dip her feet for 5 mins each time in water also left a bowl with ice in her crate. I didn't get a chance to leave & go to the feed store for some respiratory meds but I still have 1 in the younger group that keeps making this wet sneeze (no discharge that I can see). I left a hear lamp all night for that group just to make sure they can warm themselves when they get cold. How long should I medicate with Corid for?

7. Wyandottes7

Jul 24, 2013
    Give Corid for five days.

8. mckeesbackyard

May 25, 2013
    White Mountains, AZ
    I was refilling the feeders of the Americaunas & found the pullet dead. I felt really hopeful seeing that she's still alive when I checked on them early this morning. I was going to give her some nutri-drench today. I started raising chickens about 2 months ago & all this is just overwhelming! I don't want to integrate the rest of these Americaunas to my 4 hatchery pullets even if the coughing & sneezing goes away for fear that they might be carrying something that caused the blue pullet to die. Please share your wisdom with regards to this matter I'm so disheartened!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by