help young bird with big sore on back smells of rotten egg (Grapfic)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by pidgey104, Oct 12, 2010.

1. pidgey104

pidgey104 Cochins R Us

Nov 10, 2007
    Panama City ,Florida
    I have a frizzle barred rock pullet that has a werid sore on her back, it started out beingas small as a coiun and I thought a coon got a hold of her but nows its grew and its huge and flat on top. now its open and smells of rotten eggs. She still acts healty and eats and runs around. what is it and what can i do?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2010
  2. JenEric Farms

JenEric Farms GOOGLE GENIUS

Oct 31, 2007
    Maine
    Is she in a breeding pen? Just wondering if maybe it started out as a breeding wound then got picked by others??? Possibly, now infected...

3. pidgey104

pidgey104 Cochins R Us

Nov 10, 2007
    Panama City ,Florida
    Quote:no she young still I had her in with just her young roo that isnt even 4 months yet.

4. kickinchicken

kickinchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rhode Island
    OK:

a) separate this hen
    b) clear off the feathers around this wound, giving a margin of at least half an inch
    c) clean/scrub with povidone/water solution
    d) smear with Neosporin
    e) cover with non-stick gauze
    f) wrap with vet wrap or gauze

repeat once a day for 7 days

perhaps start her on an antibiotic too.

The rotten egg smell is bacteria and dead skin and this needs to be cleaned and removed ASAP.

5. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    That bird is unlikely to be saved. She has a massive infection. The amount of tissue that is compromised makes me wonder how she has survived up to this point. If you cannot administer some injectable antibiotics then I would suggest culling her. She is not going to survive a wound of that magnitude without them.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

6. pidgey104

pidgey104 Cochins R Us

Nov 10, 2007
    Panama City ,Florida
    [​IMG] any idea what might have cause this?

I dumped Preoxide on it last night and this morining til I can get the other stuff today

Last edited: Oct 13, 2010
  7. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Bacteria.

8. Clay Valley Farmer

Clay Valley Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    It really looks like it needs a lot more than peroxide.

If it were my chicken, and I was going to try to save it I would go very agressivly at the wound to remove all decay clean with iodine solution, pack the cleaned wound with neosporin then get the bird on antibiotics and a enriched diet ASAP. The wound would need to be cleaned and redressed daily at a minnimum.

If you don't go at the infection it is likely best to cull the bird to save any further suffering and the potential for spread of illness to others in the flock.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2010
  9. Clay Valley Farmer

Clay Valley Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    Also I would be cautious to wear gloves and treat anything that touches that wound as bio-hazardous to protect myself, it is possible that bacteria would like human tissue just as much as chicken tissue.

10. KristaChickenWhisperer

KristaChickenWhisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2008
    Lake Stevens, WA
    Poor girl!!

She really does need some intensive care and definitely some antibiotics. The rotten egg smell is basically rotting flesh due to an infection. Not pleasant at all! If you are going to attempt to fight the infection it needs to be cleaned daily and kept as clean as possible.

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by