help young bird with big sore on back smells of rotten egg (Grapfic)

Pidgey104

Cochins R Us
16 Years
Nov 10, 2007
Mooresburg TN
I have a frizzle barred rock pullet that has a werid sore on her back, it started out beingas small as a coiun and I thought a coon got a hold of her but nows its grew and its huge and flat on top. now its open and smells of rotten eggs. She still acts healty and eats and runs around. what is it and what can i do?

4828_bird_001.jpg

4828_bird_002.jpg

Last edited:
Is she in a breeding pen? Just wondering if maybe it started out as a breeding wound then got picked by others??? Possibly, now infected...

OK:

a) separate this hen
b) clear off the feathers around this wound, giving a margin of at least half an inch
c) clean/scrub with povidone/water solution
d) smear with Neosporin
e) cover with non-stick gauze
f) wrap with vet wrap or gauze

repeat once a day for 7 days

perhaps start her on an antibiotic too.

The rotten egg smell is bacteria and dead skin and this needs to be cleaned and removed ASAP.

That bird is unlikely to be saved. She has a massive infection. The amount of tissue that is compromised makes me wonder how she has survived up to this point. If you cannot administer some injectable antibiotics then I would suggest culling her. She is not going to survive a wound of that magnitude without them.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

hmm.png
any idea what might have cause this?

I dumped Preoxide on it last night and this morining til I can get the other stuff today

Last edited:
It really looks like it needs a lot more than peroxide.

If it were my chicken, and I was going to try to save it I would go very agressivly at the wound to remove all decay clean with iodine solution, pack the cleaned wound with neosporin then get the bird on antibiotics and a enriched diet ASAP. The wound would need to be cleaned and redressed daily at a minnimum.

If you don't go at the infection it is likely best to cull the bird to save any further suffering and the potential for spread of illness to others in the flock.

Last edited:
Also I would be cautious to wear gloves and treat anything that touches that wound as bio-hazardous to protect myself, it is possible that bacteria would like human tissue just as much as chicken tissue.

Poor girl!!

She really does need some intensive care and definitely some antibiotics. The rotten egg smell is basically rotting flesh due to an infection. Not pleasant at all! If you are going to attempt to fight the infection it needs to be cleaned daily and kept as clean as possible.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom