Help!!!! Young cockerel unsteady on his feet!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by vetgirl00us, Aug 8, 2010.

1. vetgirl00us

vetgirl00us Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Rome, GA
    I have about a 12 week old serama cockerel that I hatched from some eggs I bought from a seller. They are in an 8x3 pen that is in the shade with a dirt and pine needle floor. I have been feeding them a mix of Dumor 24% protein chick crumbles (non medicated) mixed with 16% layena. He is housed with a few OEGB chicks about the same age and a few other seramas that i have hatched with him. The rest all appear fine.

I went to get him out and handle him and work with his posing and I noticed he was staggering slightly and very unsteady on his feet like a drunk person. He doesn't have nystagmus (the eyes rolling when they are dizzy). I can't find any wounds on him, he doesn't have diarrhea and he is still crowing and trying to eat.

What could it be?

2. vetgirl00us

Apr 28, 2010
    Rome, GA
    Nobody???

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Check the feet and legs for trauma.

Any sign of bumblefoot?

Could he have gotten into moldy food or decayed material? Botulism?

Good luck

Imp

4. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Could be a vit. deficiency (some need more then others) so you could try some poly visol without iron (infant vits.) or possibly Meraks. I'd seperate him so you can keep a close eye on him and give him the vits, maybe squeeze a vit. E capsule on his beak along with a few drops of the poly visol and offer him some scrambled egg too.

5. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    I don't have a lot of experience with this, but don't rule out the possibility that he just "sprained his ankle" or something simple like that. I had one about that age look like he was crippled when i let them out one morning. I isolated him with food and water, and while watching him noticed he was limping. After about three days, he was recovered enough to join the flock, and a few days later, he was back to normal. He just fell wrong on one of his feet or something. There was no obvious injury; he just needed time.

I hope your situation is as simple as mine was.

6. vetgirl00us

Apr 28, 2010
    Rome, GA
    He has no bumblefoot. They eat their food within a days time and I refill it every day. The pen is relatively clean- no rotted scraps, etc. I felt of his joints and looked for wounds and there are none. I did give the little guy some Poultry Cell which is a good vitamin supplement and also a shot of an antibiotic just in case. He is wobbly in the head or neck just when he tries to walk- he is off balance like a drunk person. This little guy is only 10 oz. I do have him separated in one side of the big brooder that is in my garage so that he isn't being stressed by his cage mates. I just don't know and I am so worried!

7. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Based on what you just said, i think i would do a search for wry neck and see if that sounds like your situation. I've never dealt with wry neck before; i've only read a little here on BYC. I know that remedy has to do with pumping certain vitamins. Maybe the same solutions will work for you.

I hope your little guy gets well soon!

8. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    It sounds like you're doing everything right. I'm more inclined to seperate completley, but honestly if it is something contagious they've alread been exposed so it won't make much difference. All you can really do is provide good supportive care and see what happens. I don't think the antibiotics are a really good idea though as a just because/maybe treatment. It can lead to resistance and then they don't work when you really do need them. They can also kill off the good bacteria in the gut resulting in secondary problems though that can be prevented by giving priobotics like active culture yoghurt or buttermilk. Hope he gets better soon.

9. vetgirl00us

Apr 28, 2010
    Rome, GA
    Yes, he is separated completely. There is a solid wall between each side of the brooder. I could even bring him in the house if I need to. It doesn't seem to be his neck. He isn't lame. He is just "drunk" acting. When he moves, he rocks back on his heels like he went to fast on the merry go round. I guess time will tell. I'm wondering with him being a serama if it's something genetic.

10. oesdog

oesdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    My wee chick seemed to be a bit like that - it wouldn;t stand right and wobbled and then sat down again like it was drunk. - Turned out it was Vitamin deficiancy.
    Do try the infant Vitamins without Iron. - My chcik was well better in a few days but I did have to drop feed him to start though!

Oesdog - [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by