Help! Young pullet suddenly hunched up eating but not drinking

Loverofthechickies

In the Brooder
May 7, 2021
Hey everyone! New here. I could use some help and guidance.
I have a young pullet around 3 months old. I noticed two days ago that she was hunched in with her neck. She can barley keep her eyes open it seems like she’s super tired. However she’s eating (not a lot) but I don’t think she’s drinking.

she does walk around(hunched in like she’s cold), stretches her wings out and runs away from me. Her poop is clear(looks like water? But does have white in it). I’m not sure what to do honestly.
And I’m not sure if she’s just stressed or what? All my others are acting fine. I did add some older hens to the flock and it seems like she avoids them.

i felt her crop earlier but I’m not sure if it’s impacted or sour. I didn’t smell anything bad from her mouth.
Any suggestions?

thank you in advance!

Hey everyone! New here. I could use some help and guidance.
I have a young pullet around 3 months old. I noticed two days ago that she was hunched in with her neck. She can barley keep her eyes open it seems like she’s super tired. However she’s eating (not a lot) but I don’t think she’s drinking.

she does walk around(hunched in like she’s cold), stretches her wings out and runs away from me. Her poop is clear(looks like water? But does have white in it). I’m not sure what to do honestly.
And I’m not sure if she’s just stressed or what? All my others are acting fine. I did add some older hens to the flock and it seems like she avoids them.

i felt her crop earlier but I’m not sure if it’s impacted or sour. I didn’t smell anything bad from her mouth.
Any suggestions?

thank you in advance!
How long ago did you add new hens and when was she exposed to them?
What does her poop look like?
Can you please post a picture of her? She sounds like she has coccidiosis.

I got the new hens about a week ago. She was exposed 4 days ago. I do not have a picture of her I will have to get one when I get home. I’m really worried about her. Her poop looks like water mainly but a little bit thicker maybe? There is white and brown in it.

im assuming coccidiosis is contagious?

thank you for responding. I greatly appreciate it.

I got the new hens about a week ago. She was exposed 4 days ago. I do not have a picture of her I will have to get one when I get home. I’m really worried about her. Her poop looks like water mainly but a little bit thicker maybe? There is white and brown in it.

im assuming coccidiosis is contagious?

thank you for responding. I greatly appreciate it.
It can spread. Treating the flock with Corid will not hurt them even if it's not coccidiosis so I'd go ahead and treat them.
I would put her in a crate in a warm quiet place where you can monitor her intake of food and water. Check her crop before dark and remove the food and water at night then check her crop again first thing in the morning. She may have an impaction or sour crop.

It can spread. Treating the flock with Corid will not hurt them even if it's not coccidiosis so I'd go ahead and treat them.
I would put her in a crate in a warm quiet place where you can monitor her intake of food and water. Check her crop before dark and remove the food and water at night then check her crop again first thing in the morning. She may have an impaction or sour crop.
Alright I will! Thank you so much for your help!

F60FD8FB-49DD-491D-B674-8FD651EDE7DA.jpeg
FDD4FEC6-E04B-496C-AC79-DCCEEFFB4F5D.jpeg
DB872DED-DE9A-4CF5-A8F4-16E7664009C5.jpeg

What do you think? I pulled her out of the run and put her in one of my dog kennels. Added a heat lamp just because it’s cold here tonight. Got some corid, she doesn’t want to drink still. I gave her a few drops to make her drink it herself.
I also felt her crop (hopefully it was the crop, right side almost by the keel(sp?) bone. Seems squishy..

Back
Top Bottom