Help! Young silkie rooster with large blisters on waddles and abnormal spur development.

Havrah

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 15, 2013
Carmel, ca
This is my first thread usually have all my questions anwered by others post even "cured" severe mareks symptoms with homopathic remendy shared here. ive had a bad year health wise with my flock never had any major health issues over the last 8yrs of raising poultry.
But I have 2 very unusual things going on with my sweet boy king who I love dearly. He's about 6mos old have groomed him to be my head rooster from the time he was a chick he's always bee special so I'm kinda freaking out hope to get some help of what's going on and how to best deal with it. First thing I noticed and never seen before is his spurs are developing in the wrong place to low next to is toes and seem to have rubbed raw looking almost like bumblefoot which it's probably turning into so I have treated as I would for staff have them wrapped with homemade salve at the moment. They are defiantly spurs because I have very thoroughly check his legs for them elsewhere. I only noticed because I was treating for scaly mites have issues with all my feather footers. Hence the vasaline covered feet and scarlet red in the following pics I'm going to post this part right now and follow up in a bit with more info and issue #2 in a bit. I just want to get this post started so I can start getting feedback ASAP. I know how dedicated some of u are and I'm so grateful so here's kings feet before I washed them.

Issue # 2 blisters on wattles
The comb has wounds from roosters scuffles finally made pen for the other Roos till I find them homes. But I don't think the blisters look like a result of a wound. Never seen anything like it. I also don't believe it's pox besides the fact that none of my other chooks show symptoms they just don't seem like pox blisters to me. I'm hoping someone will have some insight from looking at these pics. I will post more soon.

[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Last edited:
The toe and spur abnormalities are likely due to a genetic mutation. This site may explain the subject further for you:
http://www.edelras.nl/chickengenetics/mutations2.html#gen_mut_toes

Now, the wounds around the waddle could be a bacterial/staph infection. Dab the areas with a q-tip/cotton ball dipped in Betadine. Then lightly swab the area with some triple antibiotic or Neosporin. Do this 1-2 times a day until it heals. For the feet, I'd keep the bird on clean, soft surfaces for right now until the wounds heal. The deformity is causing that because of spur location. Perhaps surgically removing the spurs will remedy the problem. It depends on how much money you are willing to spend on the bird.

Back
Top Bottom