Help

crystal0318

Hatching
Sep 23, 2015
I am new to having chickens and I need some help! My chickens are 6 months old.. I just noticed a decent size patch on one of my chickens back near her tail feathers that is featherless. A few new feathers are growing in here and there but I do not know what would have caused this. I don't think it is molting but I have no clue! Help!

I am new to having chickens and I need some help! My chickens are 6 months old.. I just noticed a decent size patch on one of my chickens back near her tail feathers that is featherless. A few new feathers are growing in here and there but I do not know what would have caused this. I don't think it is molting but I have no clue! Help!

Welcome to BYC!
There are a few different possible causes to this issue. Do you have any cockerels or roosters in the flock? Have you inspected the bird(s) for signs of external parasites (lice/mites)? Have you noticed any picking between birds? Can you take a photo of the bird that shows the area that is in question and post it here so we can see what you are seeing?

First lets welcome you....
welcome-byc.gif

It may be other chickens are pecking her. Check to see if there are any parasites like mites on her.
idunno.gif

WISHING YOU BEST

I do not have any roosters in my flock and there has not been any picking that I have seen or seen evidence of. I did not inspect her for mites or lice yet I did not see any in the area in question. I tried to upload a picture of it but for some reason it will not let me post it.
Welcome to BYC!
There are a few different possible causes to this issue.  Do you have any cockerels or roosters in the flock?  Have you inspected the bird(s) for signs of external parasites (lice/mites)?  Have you noticed any picking between birds?  Can you take a photo of the bird that shows the area that is in question and post it here so we can see what you are seeing?

Back
Top Bottom