help!!!

Unpenned Hen

In the Brooder
12 Years
Nov 5, 2007
my chickens haven't been laying good for 2 or 3 months, I have ten hens they are two years old and i've only been getting one egg a day sometimes two, they have all been molting this is the first time that they have molted my dad wants to get rid of them (or eat them!!!) if they don't start laying soon does anyone know when (or if )they will start laying again?
sad.png

Molting will slow them down or stop them completely. Then there is the daylight factor. They need 14 hours of daylight to be laying. You can supliment light but, beware of the fact that if they don't get a break it can shorten their life span and their egg laying time. It's a decision you have to make.

First, what kind of chicken are they? What are you feeding them? What is the coop Like, windows or is it dark? Do they go outside?

Answer these questions and we may be able to help you out!

Each chicken is a individual and some deal with moulting better than others. I can't say when the hens will lay again but good food and plenty of light will help.

Tell your dad that you'll never get good egg production if you eat everyone that molts. The second year is supposed to be tops in production for most breeds.

three of them are golden comets and seven of them are americaunas, they can get outside in the sun and laze about taking dirt bathes i live in maine and since its november the sun sets at 4:30 and is comletely dark around 5:00

I would guess between the molt and not enough daylight hours. They may pick up some after they are done with the molt or it maybe spring.

You may want to put a light on a timer for about 4-5 hours each day to add to the amount of light they are getting. After the moult is complete and feed them laying crumbles, pellets and oyster shells. You should see a big difference in the egg production. You want them to take a little break and not lay all year. I hear thats hard on them to do that! Good Luck and tell Dad to be patient.

Back
Top Bottom