1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. krisjjnn

krisjjnn New Egg

Apr 30, 2015
    Could someone tell me what is wrong with this hen. We keep our chickens close to the house and keep a close eye on them. We haven't noticed any pecking and have no clue what this could be. Could the other chickens be attacking her without us noticing? [​IMG]

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    There are a few different things that could be going on -
    How old is your bird?
    Do you have any roosters in the flock?
    Have you checked her (and the others) over for signs of external parasites such as mites or lice?

3. krisjjnn

krisjjnn New Egg

Apr 30, 2015
    We have two roosters and 15 hens. We have not checked for lice or mites, I guess we should do that. I'm dreading it a bit. I'll go check.

4. krisjjnn

krisjjnn New Egg

Apr 30, 2015
    The bird is only 7 months so not a year yet for molting.

5. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    The area in question is one where you often see feather loss from the matings by roosters - is this particular girl a favorite of one or both of the boys in the flock?

6. krisjjnn

krisjjnn New Egg

Apr 30, 2015
    No lice that we could see. My husband just made the point that our two roosters are only mating 6 hens because the other 9 were added on later and are younger. So I think we need to get rid of a rooster.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by