HELP!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by bjry, Nov 10, 2015.

1. bjry

bjry New Egg

Nov 10, 2015
    I have a pair of Silkies and a broody Orpington. I decided to just leave the Silkies eggs in with the broody chicken and to my amaze this morning I woke up to a chick! There are 3 more eggs in the box but since its pretty chilly now in Montana, and I was afraid that some of the other chickens would harm the chick, I brought it in the house. Now I feel bad because it seems lonely. Should I bring the hen and the rest of the eggs in the house or just wait until they all hatch? I really did not think the eggs would hatch, I should have waited until spring :( Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. ken77

ken77 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2015
    brinnon washington
    Can you bring in hen and eggs? Or put in heat lamp?

3. bjry

bjry New Egg

Nov 10, 2015
    I could do both. I just am worried now that I brought the chick in what the hen will do if I bring them all in? Will she still accept the chick? This is my first time having hatched chicks. I thought about leaving them out but do have several other Hens and a Rooster and not sure if they will get picked on.

4. ken77

ken77 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2015
    brinnon washington
    I'd put her and eggs by them selves if possible. Idk if she would take chick back they do adopted other chicks so maybe

5. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

The younger the chick, the better her chances are of taking it back. So, if you are going to try, sooner would be better. I would just keep a close eye on them to make sure the transition back goes smoothly.

Honestly, a good mama will keep her chicks warm, no matter what the weather, and will also protect her chicks from other members of the flock. But ultimately, you need to do what you feel most comfortable with.

6. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    I agree. I have not had any problems with my flock attacking or even pecking newborn chicks - I'm not sure they see them as a threat. My current batch is now 6 weeks old and they are now getting an education in chicken manners, but its nothing but a gentle peck here and there (the little boys seem to need more education than the girls because of their arrogance / cheekiness).

Personally i would return the chick to the mother but closely monitor the behaviour of the rest of the flock towards the chick but as stated by tailrider330, you should do what is best for you. Nothing is cast in stone and we all have different ways of doing things.

All the best
    CT

7. bjry

bjry New Egg

Nov 10, 2015
    Thank you all so much for your advice. I am returning baby to the hen. I will keep you posted! BTW this is such a great site/community!

8. bjry

bjry New Egg

Nov 10, 2015
    She started to peck at the baby so I brought it back in the house. I didn't want to take any chances.

9. Jchicken311

Jchicken311 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Texas
    Oh No! [​IMG]
    sounds like you are going to have to raise it. I suggest you go to a feed store and atleast get one or two other chicks so that it won't be lonely and just make a small brooder and start raising them yoursellf. Too bad the mom wouldn't take it back[​IMG] Wish you the best of luck

10. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by