HELP!!

Parkourpeep

In the Brooder
Oct 20, 2015
I have (had) two frills the female escaped and flew off! But the male is still in the aviary, I've had them for about a week, will the female return, btw the male liked to follow the female, so will the female return??!!!

I have (had) two frills the female escaped and flew off! But the male is still in the aviary, I've had them for about a week, will the female return, btw the male liked to follow the female, so will the female return??!!! Frills are an ornamental bird with poor homing instincts I think the odds are against you. I hope I am wrong for your sake. If it has not returned in 3 days I would reside myself into not seeing it again. When releasing birds it is a good idea to let the bird view the surroundings for a few days from an aviary or wire cage. Trap training should be taught before release. I always like to take away their feed for at least 12 hours to give yourself a little extra leverage for returning in a hurry to their food source. (This all may be old news to you). I would put a lost add out it maybe disorientated near by. I doubt it could find it's loft of origin. Stranger things have happened I must confess. A fellow fancier had a Indian fantail return to it's loft over 60 miles away after a sale. If it is banded I would never give up hope.

Last edited:
Would it be ok if you have me more info on their poor homing instincts? And if I put a homing pigeon with my frill would the frill follow the homer back to the loft?

Would it be ok if you have me more info on their poor homing instincts? And if I put a homing pigeon with my frill would the frill follow the homer back to the loft?

It is rare for any fancy or ornamental pigeon to have good homing instincts. They are bred for beauty not for flying ability or homing instincts. Of course there are always exceptions to any breed of pigeon. The frill may try to fly home with the homer problem is can he keep up. Homers are sleek and powerful and built for speed. Not so for the frill.

Last edited:
If the escaped one can see its mate in the aviary it will come back.

The fancy pigeons have poor homing instincts.. but this is good.. it means they it will not be trying to fly back to the place you got it from!

All fancy pigeons can be homed to their coop. I let all mine free fly in the garden.

But they can't be homed like racing pigeons.. like putting them in a box and taking them miles away and then letting them out, expecting them to fly back home.

How long has your escaped pigeon been out? It may stay out a few days... but you should be able to see it around your property.

When it gets hungry and can see the other bird eating it will fly back down and you can walk it back into the aviary.. or try to catch it.

Frill pigeon are very poor flyers.. so it can't have gone far away.

However, if you don't see it in the next day or 2 its probably been killed by a predator like a cat or hawk.

Hope she comes back soon!

(When you get more fancy pigeons keep them in their aviary and coop for at least 2 weeks... this give them time to settle down and understand where their new home is.... after that you can let them free fly... they can come and go through a pop hole. Or, if you have predators in your area, you can just let them out when you are there to watch them.. and then train them to come back into the coop when you call them and feed them.. then you can shut them in again).

Could someone please answer?

Could someone please answer?

Your frill may have joined a flock of feral pigeons maybe at an over pass or bridge close to your home. Try visiting a park or anywhere near by pigeons populate. Believe it or not if it were not for lost pigeons there would be none of their kind enjoying freedom in America.

Last edited:
Sorry I haven't had time to reply, the female did not return, but that is ok, because my male is warming up to me, and he is getting more vocal, I plan on getting some other frills sometime maybe this month.

Back
Top Bottom