HELP??

BuggyBear

In the Brooder
Apr 4, 2015
My chicken's foot is swollen and has a hardish nub on one of her toes she won't walk on it and is in pain what should I do for her?? What antibiotic should I give her there is no scabs or open wounds.

My chicken's foot is swollen and has a hardish nub on one of her toes she won't walk on it and is in pain what should I do for her?? What antibiotic should I give her there is no scabs or open wounds.

Examine the foot and toe closely. Sometimes a thread, etc. gets wrapped around and cuts off circulation.

If you have any epsom salts...try bathing her foot in a solution of warm water with epsom salts..she may have fallen from a perch and bruised her foot...bathe for 15 minutes...it may be an idea to isolate her in a cage to give her some rest for a day or two...see if she shows any sign of improvement....look for any signs of discolouration...i.e. green which may indicate bruising...

Keep us informed please...

Last edited:
I've tried Epsom salts and soaking its been a week with no sign of improvement the palm of her foot is reddish and hard

Can you post a picture of the toe? It may possibly be bumblefoot, a staphylococcal infection that usually is found on the coot pad, but also can be on a toe. There is usually a dark spot on the bump. Suzie has given good instructions on the epsom salts soak to the foot. It may well be a bruise instead of bumblefoot.

I tried to upload picture but phone is too slow :/ it's also hur foot pad I'm thinking it's an infection of some kind but there is no scab, is it possible without a scab or even a mark? Will it hurt to try antibiotics? Thx to everyone for replying!

I tried to upload picture but phone is too slow :/ it's also hur foot pad I'm thinking it's an infection of some kind but there is no scab, is it possible without a scab or even a mark? Will it hurt to try antibiotics? Thx to everyone for replying!

Back
Top Bottom