HELP

lynss94

Chirping
Jun 18, 2015
North Carolina
Okay so, I just brought both my girls in for the night. As Ollie was walking past me I noticed something that I have not noticed until just now. I'm concerned. It doesn't look infected (yet) and it doesn't appear to hurt her as she will let me touch it.

Oddly enough, it looks like the same exact thing is starting to occur at the exact same spot on the other side. What is it?? Nowhere else is affected but the two sides. It is almost like she is pulling them out herself. I've seen her pruning a bunch in these areas.

I don't know what it is but I would appreciate anyone's help.

Thank you!

They lay their eggs on wood chips from TSC. When I first purchased them that's what they were on. I just kept getting it for them as I raised them and they love it. They don't sleep on it they just nest and lay on it. I change the chips out depending on how messy they make it. Normally they keep it clean. The current chips they're laying on is a brand new bag. This evening I'm going to TSC and getting vitamins and the spray. What kind of vitamins do you recommend?
I like Poultry Nutri Drench they carry them and also they have other poultry vitamins not sure of the names though.

This evening when I get home I will remove their pool and spray more on her. She has been picking at both sides. I also plan on adding additional oyster shell to give more calcium to aid in her plumage re-growth. She was okay this morning her normal self so hopefully I caught it and will be able to be the duck doctor. I gave them BOTH vitamin water so Pepper can begin getting the good stuff too.
Sounds great .. your a good duck mama and dr. .
smile.png
Oyster shell won't help with feather regrowth but it will help her to get much needed calcium while she is laying both her and Pepper. For feather help they need some extra protein. maybe they are still able to find bugs they are not around here this time of year or some dried meal worms for afternoon snack or some good quality dog or cat kibble. These will help with feathers. Protein!! The vitamins will help too.

Last edited:
Okay so, I just brought both my girls in for the night. As Ollie was walking past me I noticed something that I have not noticed until just now. I'm concerned. It doesn't look infected (yet) and it doesn't appear to hurt her as she will let me touch it.

Oddly enough, it looks like the same exact thing is starting to occur at the exact same spot on the other side. What is it?? Nowhere else is affected but the two sides. It is almost like she is pulling them out herself. I've seen her pruning a bunch in these areas.

I don't know what it is but I would appreciate anyone's help.

Thank you!

Have you seen your other duck preening Ollie? sometimes they will do things like this. If you suspect it was your other duck you can put some Blue Kote on her and it will help heal and also disguise the wound, it it is Ollie doing it to herself use the blue kote too. If she can't see it real well she may forget about it.Makes me think of a hot spot on a dog, they just get an itch or something and it worries them so they keep chewing on it.if you don't have any blue kote handy try some coconut oil for tonight just gently rub it in it may sooth it and get some Blue Kote, get the one with the dauber instead of spray because that stuff as great as it is gets on everything if you use the spray. the dauber is much better.

Last edited:
Why would they do this? The never have before. I don't recall seeing Pepper pruning Ollie but I know I have seen her pruning herself in this area. It is just hidden behind the feathers until you move it away.

Why would they do this? The never have before. I don't recall seeing Pepper pruning Ollie but I know I have seen her pruning herself in this area. It is just hidden behind the feathers until you move it away.
I have no idea boredom, obsessiveness maybe lack of a certain nutrient just hard to say.My drake use to worry me because he would chase his tail like he was obsessed with it. Thankfully he finally got over it. Might try adding some poultry vitamins to their water and see if that helps but the Blue Kote will definitely disguise the place and my take her mind off of it.

Would she stop laying eggs if she was stressed or lacking and certain nutrient? She seems to still be laying like normal. I will have to get some of that stuff tomorrow. Where do you purchase it?

Last edited:
Would she stop laying eggs if she was stressed or lacking and certain nutrient? She seems to still be laying like normal. I will have to get some of that stuff tomorrow. Where do you purchase it?
Tractor supply has it.
she may not stop laying if she needs certain nutrients but stress can cause them to stop laying, do you think she is stressed by something in her environment?

I have always given my flock vitamins especially at certain times like molting or when they begin to start laying again in spring and during winter months instead of the usual 1X a week I give them a couple times a week and during molt every other day and on off days they get ACV in their water. You might try adding some small dog kibble to their treats it has good quality protein which is good for feathers. [Get a good quality] ACV is a great tonic of our birds and us. 1-2 Tab 1 gal of water. Hard for them to find good quality protein this time of year with all the bugs gone.

She has laid her eggs like normal with the exception of a few colder days, they're large over 3.0oz eggs, very strong, and hearty feeling. Knowing my ducks and knowing their personalities she hasn't been acting abnormal at all. Neither one of them. I don't think it is stress but of course I could be wrong.

Back
Top Bottom