Help!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by RooptyDoo, Nov 23, 2008.

1. RooptyDoo

RooptyDoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Illinois
    I have a hen that has been sitting on 6 eggs. 5 of them have hatched. We have listened to see if we here anything in the last egg and we here peeping and it picking at the shell. This egg was picking and peeping in the shell yesterday and so this morning we thought for sure it would be pipped, but no pip. So we listened to see if we could here it today and it is definitely still alive but, still no pip. [​IMG] Today is day 22. The eggs were put under her all on the same day and the others who have already hatched, hatched out yesterday and the day before. My question is do you think we should help it or leave it? I really do not want it to die. It is a white silkie.

2. UrbanMama

UrbanMama Gone Country....

Sep 27, 2008
    Massachusetts
    As hard as it is...leave it. It's alive and doing well, let nature take it's course [​IMG] Remember, some people have hatches at day 24 and beyond.

3. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Its hard to say what the best to do is. If you help and the chick hasn't absorbed all its yolk sac that would be bad and he/she could end up dyeing , Has mama hen left the nest yet with the others or is she still sitting tight?? Sometimes chicks don't make it out of there shells for "reasons" maybe he/she is just not strong enough to be part of the flock. I think it's up to you weather or not you help. Is it cold where you are ?? Maybe that egg got a little on the cold side and is behind !! Many reasons why it could be late or not hatch at all. If you do help just understand you COULD be helping a chick that was never meant to be and it could have problems, I have help a few chicks hatch out and most were just fine just needed a little help, but once in a while you get a chick that has a defect that wasn't meant to be. Whatever you chose to do I wish you luck !! Keep us updated.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2008
  4. RooptyDoo

Oct 9, 2008
    Illinois
    No momma hen has not left the nest with the others yet. We actually just moved her and her babies into the house this morning because it is freezing outside. I will keep you guys updated. Im really hoping it will hatch. [​IMG]

5. swtangel321

Jul 11, 2008
    Hows the egg doing tonight ??

6. RooptyDoo

Oct 9, 2008
    Illinois
    The eggs is doing great!!! We actually did help it late this morning and this afternoon. It is out and walking around the incubator(we put it in the incubator because momma didn't want to sit on it anymore). It seems to have no problems. Also the way it was curled up in the shell I don't think it would have made it out itself. But he/she is doing great and I will update on how he is doing tomarrow. [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. swtangel321

Jul 11, 2008
    What a great ending [​IMG] You gonna put him/her back with mama and other babies ??

8. RooptyDoo

Oct 9, 2008
    Illinois
    Yep I just put the baby in with momma a little bit ago. Momma was happy since it had been in the incubator in the same room peeping for quite a while. [​IMG]

9. Bandana

Bandana Chillin' With My Peeps

Woo-hoo! All six! Good job!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by