help :(

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by jbol, Feb 16, 2016.

1. jbol

jbol Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2016
    Hi this is my first time at hatching eggs. I have had a bad egg which I disposed of and I cleaned the incubator out and replace the non slip mat for a new one. The smell did go but when I woke up today there is gunk on my eggs (I have 2 eggs in my incubator ) I have checked them for cracks and pips and there is non. What could this be?

2. CochinLover1

CochinLover1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2015
    Ohio
    You have a contaminated batch. Stop the hatch and completely clean the incubator. To prevent this in the future, candle the eggs. If you keep bad ones in there they will "explode" and bacteria will get all over the good eggs.

3. jbol

jbol Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2016
    I cannot see any more bad eggs I'm there I found one and I took it out and cleaned the incubator. So I don't know why there still gunk producing on the outside of eggs

4. CochinLover1

Aug 17, 2015
    Ohio
    Bacteria has established inside your eggs and incubator. Replace the air filters. Everything needs to be bleached the eggs are no good. My recommendation to you is shut everything down and sanitize the heck out of the incubator. It is not going to get better. It will only get worse.

5. jbol

jbol Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2016
    How do I replace the filters it's a mini incubator and can't get to the filters am I better off buying new? Will the eggs inside the incubator have to be disposed of now ?

6. CochinLover1

Aug 17, 2015
    Ohio
    Check your manufacturer's instructions. Every incubator is slightly different. Can you post the pictures of the infected eggs? If you do not feel comfortable with that, it is fine. It would help other users on here to better understand this. I am very sorry for your loss. I recommend doing research on candling and the incubation process, so you do not have to go through this again.

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Sorry I don't have any advice to add. You might want to post on one of the "hatching threads,"

9. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Sorry you are having incubator woes. Hope future hatches go better for you!

10. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

Hello!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to join the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC. Sorry I can't help. :hugs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by