1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sabrina11, Mar 17, 2016.

1. sabrina11

sabrina11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2016
    Last night sometime (wasn't awake) we had a rat go missing, we had 2 chicks go missing and one dead chick. (No blood just dead)

2. 2oldnow

2oldnow Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2016
    Sorry for your loss. Was there any indications as to who the culprit was?

3. sabrina11

Mar 6, 2016
    No we just found our rat alive and looking for our baby chicks. Any ideas where they could be?

4. 2oldnow

2oldnow Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2016
    Sorry....... No idea.

5. sabrina11

Mar 6, 2016
    Would the rat kill them

6. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO

They are capable of it.

7. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    im so very sorry but rats dont get along with chicks. rats are known to kill and as awful as it sounds its very likely that your rat likely chewed their legs off. sorry to be so blunt but rats are notorious for doing that and killing chicks as well. it's so awful. on this Website I've seen several photos of the chicks who did survive the rat attacks and usually one or both legs are missing from being chewed off by rats. may I ask? is this a pet rat?? or?? a wild one? we had a HUGE problem this winter with rats. we got most and my dog got the rest ( I hope) mine were wild not pets. if your rat is a pet, does it run loose or did it escape from its enclosure? it's VERY important to keep your rat away from your chicks. it's in their nature to get them. I really hope you find your chicks alive and well but I must be honnest, with a rat on the loose it's more likely that the rat drug them somewhere in your house to do what rats do with chicks.. perhaps put wire on the top of the brooder to keep the remaining chicks safe. I'm really sorry this happened. it's so awful! I wish you the best. it should be alright in the future as long as you keep the rat away.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
  8. mg15

mg15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2012
    Oh MY, this is simply awful.
    Never knew.

9. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    yes this is why I was so afraid of having the rats this winter!! I have small bantams and getting chicks in April and I'm desperately afraid they will get my bantams or chicks!! one good thing is when the chicks grow up into the large breed the large breed hens will fight back and then at that point the rat will not be a happy rat. only time to worry is with chicks and Bantams they are so tiny.

10. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO
    If this is a pet rat and kept well-fed, there is a chance that the chicks are just lost. Maybe rat joined them in the brooder and scared the crap out of them, causing them to jump out? If a feeder rat...possibly iffy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by