Help

sabrina11

Chirping
Mar 6, 2016
One of my chicks broke the air sack in the egg about 2 days ago and still hasn't made started to hatch or make any sound. Should I help it and check and see if it's still alive?

No, don't help it, especially if it's at or before day 21. You can candle the egg to see if it is still alive. The time between internal and external pip can be a few days. Once the chick begins to breathe air through the air cell, it encourages it to draw up the yolk sac into its body and seal off live blood vessels. You wouldn't want to have a chick that hasn't fully absorbed its yolk.

No, don't help it, especially if it's at or before day 21. You can candle the egg to see if it is still alive. The time between internal and external pip can be a few days. Once the chick begins to breathe air through the air cell, it encourages it to draw up the yolk sac into its body and seal off live blood vessels. You wouldn't want to have a chick that hasn't fully absorbed its yolk. 

How do you know if it's alive?

Yes...it needs air..so see if its still alive. Someone told me to do this. Which is better?

Candle the egg, or float it (search "water test" here on BYC). At day 23, the baby may have died before external pip. 

I hatched the egg for it and the baby had nothing wrong with it but it was dead and it was giant
1f62d.png
Any idea why?

Having the humidity too high in the days leading up to the hatch can cause huge wet chicks. You should have it about 30% humidity and then at lockdown about 65% I believe. This has happened to one of my hatches before and someone told me I had my humidity too high during the whole hatch.

What should the humidity be at the beginning of incubating the eggs. I hear 45 to 50 percent is that right?

Back
Top Bottom