HELP!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by A GIBSON, Apr 15, 2016.

1. A GIBSON

A GIBSON Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2016
    Husband and I recently got several different breeds ofbaby chicks from a feed store and my husband was persuaded to also take a single mallard duckling that was left.the mallard has been in the coop with these chickens for several weeks and it seems like the older they all get the more the duck seems to be by himself and not with the group.I decided yesterday since he's not a chicken for one and ducks are very social birds we needed to get him amotherduck.we found another feed store that still had ducklings and brought 2 home,did a short introduction before putting then under a heat lamp in their crate and our mallard did not seem thrilled with these smaller ducklings. They are to stay separated from the other chicks and mallard until they are large enough to join the group,my question is,will the mallard accept these females eventually? Any suggestions? I'ma bit new to the world of chickens &ducks

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! I'm afraid I'm not a duck person but I'm sure if you pop by the duck se toon the keepers there will be able to help you. Here is the link ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/42/ducks
    I'm sure though with time they will all get used to each other. It's the same when you add chicks together or new chickens. It seems to upset the apple cart when you add new birds.

Wishing you the very best of luck and enjoy BYC :frow

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - glad to have you onboard with us. Like Y Coop, I'm not a duck person, but if you follow her advice, you'll find the answers you need.

All the best
    CT

4. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Hello again (I just responded to your other post)!

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by