1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kdvail, May 5, 2016.

1. kdvail

kdvail Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2016
    Need some advice....I have an egg that pipped around 2pm yesterday afternoon. This morning it had made a bigger opening, but hasn't made any progress since then. I could see movement this morning but my daughter said she doesn't think it is moving any now. I can't check for another 30 minutes till I get home from work. Is there anything I can do?

2. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello and welcome to BYC. The chick should be fine. After pipping they sometimes take a long time to soak up the rest of the yolk and blood. They are usually quiet and still during this time. The chick should hatch soon. It could've died during hatching, but is probably ok. Let me know what happens! [​IMG]

3. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    If it's been over 24 hours, I would definitely check on it. Moisten the membrane and enlarge the pip hole. I proceed with assisting if there has been no progress after 18-24 hours.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by