Help!?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by dtown2002, Jun 25, 2016.

1. dtown2002

dtown2002 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2016
    I have a Black Australorp, a Ancona, and a Buff Orpington all at 7 weeks of age and they are in the coop. 2 days ago I got a Brown Red Ameraucana and a Silverlaced Polish, both 5 days of age. I was wondering when I should put them in with the older chicks. The lady at Sunny Farms said when their fully feathered but I'm posting just to make sure. Someone help!

2. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    it actually speeds up integration of two widely spaced age groups to raise them side by side separated by a safe partition so they can see and interact but keep the babies from being harmed by the bigger chicks.

Then by the time the new ones are a few weeks older, you can begin letting them mingle if you use the panic room method, which is a refuge with small openings into the rest of the run so only the babies have access to the safe pen. When the babies feel pressured by the older ones, they just run back to safety, the older ones unable to pursue them.

I describe this system in more detail in my article on outdoor brooding linked below my post.

3. dtown2002

dtown2002 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2016
    I meant to say 6 days but today they are 1 week. And another mistake, i found out that the Ameraucana is actually an Easter Egger. Thanks for the advice!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by