Help!!!!

katieeichlin

Hatching
Jun 29, 2016
About 2 days ago my mom noticed that one of our 6 hens is acting up. She was hiding from the others and kind of being pecked at. We separated her for the night and noticed that she was worse. She looked like she was on her death bed. We first thought she was egg bound and took her out of the barn area and into our backyard. We gave her a warm bath, which made her quite relaxed. Later we began to notice bugs rising to the surface. My mother thought they were worms but I knew they were maggots. We kept her in the bath for about 20 min. Until there were at least 300. We had no idea what to do, being that we are brand new to chickens, and we searched a lot of things and asked a lot of people. We finally came to the conclusion that is was fly strike since she had a dirty bum before. We have her three baths that day but mainly let her rest by herself. She barely ate and drank which is extremely concerning. We put a mild solution of peroxide once in her last bath. Before we locked the others up in the coop for the night, we sprayed her with blue kote. We had probably seen abut a thousand maggots that day. I couldn't sleep last night so as soon as the sun started Tories I checked in her. She is breathing but isn't moving at all which made me quite sad. I'm not sure if she is just sleeping right now or if she is in fact dying. Please help and give ANY suggestions!!! I could use anything because I want to try everything in my power to make her better, but a costly trip to the vet most likely won't happen.

Update: she passed away this morning. We put her in a bath and she was finally able to relax. At least she died relaxed and with us nurturing her

Back
Top Bottom