HELP!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by mountaingal, Jun 30, 2016.

1. mountaingal

mountaingal New Egg

Jun 28, 2016
    My neighbor down the road has free range chickens that come into my fields. One mama chicken has taken up roosting the eggs she dropped in my front bushes. I have been worried about her not having anything to eat and don't want her to get sick from lack of hunger and even thirst. I put a bowl of fresh water out for her but I don't know if she noticed it or not. WHAT CAN I FEED THE LITTLE LADY while she is residing in the bushes. As far as I can tell she hasn't moved to get any food of any kind and the neighbor who owns the chickens left them on their own and went to Florida to visit his son. I can't believe he just left them. What can I give the Mama CHicken to eat? Any advice would help. Thank you. Annie.

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Annie, IMO, you are wasting a lot of time worrying about a hen who knows just what she's doing. She will get off the nest and seek out water and do a bit of foraging when she needs to. You may never see this happen, since she is very secretive, and doesn't want to draw any attention to her nest. The one thing that is of greater concern in this case, might be that a predator might find her nest, and wipe out her clutch, or kill her. Again, not much you can do about it. I have a feeling that your neighbor is used to letting his flock run free if he left them to their own devices while he's gone. Hoping that's the case. Did he usually keep them shut up in a run, or were they out and about every day?

3. mountaingal

mountaingal New Egg

Jun 28, 2016
    Thank You LG for your wisdom. I will try not to worry too much. She is hidden from view of any predators but we have had some coyotes and wolves around and I worry about her safety. I actually named her Lucy and am getting fond of her but my hubby says no adopting chickens.He's referring to every animal I see up on our land that I would love to take in and make safe from other critters and elements. LOL. The neighbor lets the chickens and roosters roam freely. They would cross my other neighbors yard and eat all the birdseed from their feeders. Hubby is going to pick up some birdseed and mealworms today for her. I mixed some flax seed, cheerios, blueberries and cranberries together yesterday and left them for her and noticed that she ate the treats. That eases my mind knowing she will not go hungry. As far as we can tell she laid 15 eggs before she took up residence on them. Thank You again for your comments. Know Lucy the chicken and " her chicks" will be spoiled by me while they are here. Annie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by