Help :(

newtimer

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 7, 2015
I am devastated so I don't know how much sense I will make but I need some help and advice. There were 2 Pekin ducks in our neighborhood pond that I have absolutely grown to love since we moved in a year and a half ago. Their names are Mo and Curley. They are the funniest and some of the feisty things. I get home tonight and noticed there was only 1. They are normally hooked to the hip so I immediately thought it was odd. I go looking. Mistake. I find a Muskogee in the grass, there's about 8-10 of those. A car hit her, we buried her. When I saw her I panicked. Still no Curley. I want to get Mo a friend. I'm guessing he is about 2-3 years old. How old does the new one need to be? Will they get along? After tonight....I'm paying myself and having speed bumps installed.

What would happen if I did get another one? What would the others do?

Most likely fight to assert dominance and figure out their pecking order. Does the Pekin duck seem depressed or does he hang out with the other ducks? As long as he seems mentally and physically healthy you should probably leave the flock the way it is.

They were here when we moved in. Supposedly someone dropped them off here.

That's a tough situation. It's not good for that duck to be alone but introducing him to a domestic duck could be a disaster. Not to mention a pet duck would be used to being protected in a pen and food provided for him. Is their any type of wildlife agency where you live that you could call?

Last edited:
Yes sorry I knew id be all over the place. There's 2 gone. What's here at our pond are about 10-15 Muscovy ducks, there were 2 Pekin, and there's also 8 American buff geese. The Pekins wings were clipped before coming here. The Muscovy is one who got hit by a car. We haven't found the Pekin yet.

Yes sorry I knew id be all over the place. There's 2 gone. What's here at our pond are about 10-15 Muscovy ducks, there were 2 Pekin, and there's also 8 American buff geese. The Pekins wings were clipped before coming here. The Muscovy is one who got hit by a car. We haven't found the Pekin yet.

I wouldn't really worry about getting another pekin since theirs so many other ducks at the pond. He should be able to bond with them if the other pekin doesn't turn up. I do hope he comes back. But adding another duck to an established pond could cause even more stress for everyone.

I was just scared he will be lonely. If one took a drink of water the other did. If one shook off the other did. If one flapped its wings the other did. Etc. The were follow the leader.

Back
Top Bottom