Help!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cruml, Sep 7, 2016.

1. cruml

cruml Just Hatched

Sep 7, 2016
    South dakota
    My chickens are 7 months old. I have not ever had a problem with them until recently. One day I noticed one bird with a raspy sound and within a couple days I noticed most of my flock sounded the same way and what didn't had been exposed. I cleaned the coop out didn't sanitize but cleaned out. I have new birds in a separate coop but my son now says one in that coop sounds the same way today. The symptoms are raspy, some I noticed have clear discharge from nose, cough and I noticed one rooster doing what the call the silent crow like when the have gapeworm. They also shake there head and scratch their head. I currently have corid, Duramycin, and safeguard wormer all in the same waterer. In the other coop with the new chickens I have the same mixture in there water too. My husband and son have quail is this contagious to them? Will I lose my whole flocks? Is it contagious to humans? Is it respiratory or tapeworms? Confused?????? New to chickens????? Want to get more chickens but scared to now

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would not use all of those medicines together. The Duramycin would be the only one I would use at this time, and follow it by some probiotics or a little plain yogurt for a few days. Corid is only a treatment for coccidiosis, usually causing lethargy, poor appetite, and bloody or runny droppings. SafeGuard should only be given orally, undiluted. Dosage of 1/4 ml per pound of weight for 3 days in a row would treat for most worms, and for 5 days if you suspect capillary worms. A vet could examine a few fresh droppings collected for worms.
    As far a the respiratory disease, they could have infectious bronchitis or possibly MG, but there are other diseases as well. Antibiotics will only treat the bacterial diseases, and the viral diseases will run their cours over several weeks. To help prevent respiratory diseases keep the coop dry, free of dust, provide maximum overhead air circulation, keep the temperature from getting too hot, and separate any sick birds. Here is a good read about those and other diseases: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

3. cruml

cruml Just Hatched

Sep 7, 2016
    South dakota
    Ok see most of the flock is sick and the rest have been exposed! I have them right now all contained in the coop that I cleaned out but not sanitized. One person I talked to said that they could all 3 be mixed and I read on here when I googled things that the safeguard could be put in the water. I also was told that cocci also can have the symptoms of respiratory and the gapeworms also. So that is why I am using those two. Will this be mortal to my whole flock? Also can this be transmitted to the quail my husband and son have? Also can I get it from cleaning out the coop I didn't wear a mask????

4. spoikey

spoikey Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2012
    I have full grown chickens. When they were young They got a good dose of raw apple cider vinegar in their water every day. Now that they are full grown They get a dose every once in a while. It seems to keep them very healthy and they don't seem to mind it in their water at all.

5. cruml

cruml Just Hatched

Sep 7, 2016
    South dakota
    Ok thank you! I am worried I am going to lose them all!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by