Help!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chickeee34, Oct 7, 2016.

1. Chickeee34

Chickeee34 Just Hatched

Oct 1, 2016
    SoCal
    I can't lower the humidity in my diy incubator! I don't have any water in it and I haven't since 2 days ago.
    I have 3 dehydrator packs in it and two cpu fans that are for circulating air. I really need help PLEASE!! How can I lower it? It is at 51% right now and it keeps going up..

2. n8ivetxn

n8ivetxn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    Elma, Washington
    I recently had this conversation with somebody else on here....put a cup of dry rice in there, but you'll need to change it in a few days....There are silica packs you can get some of those, the dollar store has a product like it.....

Wow, I wish I could remember what thread we were posting on - there were some good ideas for decreasing humidity. Let me think on this, if I can remember, I'll come back and post again...

3. n8ivetxn

Nov 15, 2011
    Elma, Washington
    You already have 3 dehydrator packs and it's still rising? - Did you calibrate your hygrometer before starting? Do you only have one hygrometer? 2 would be better, 3 even better still - for comparisons. I have 3 temp/hygro gauges and calibrated them together before setting, just so I could see how much difference there is between them....

Where is you bator located? Is it inside? Is it near a bathroom or laundry room?

4. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY

Have you ever checked the hygrometer for accuracy? What is the outside humidity where you are?

5. Chickeee34

Chickeee34 Just Hatched

Oct 1, 2016
    SoCal
    It's 24% humidity but I don't know how to check the accuracy of my hygrometer.

6. Chickeee34

Chickeee34 Just Hatched

Oct 1, 2016
    SoCal
    Yes, it is inside and it is in my beroom. I know it's bad to do but I moved it to the living room, bathroom, and outside.Nothing seems to help[​IMG].

7. n8ivetxn

Nov 15, 2011
    Elma, Washington
    Are you saying the humidity outside is 24%?

Here's a link for testing. I can't adjust my hygrometers, I simply add or subtract whatever the difference is at the end of the test. I have 3, and when I checked them, two were very close and the 3rd was off some.

http://www.wikihow.com/Test-a-Hygrometer

Your bedroom is good, it's a low humidity environment....

8. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY

It sounds to me like your hygrometer is not right if your humidity outside is only 24% and your bator humidity is high without any water/moisture inside. You're not running a humidifier in the house are you? n8tive gave you a link. I highly suggest performing the salt test to check the hygrometer. Do you know how to monitor your air cells in the eggs for growth?

Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
  9. Chickeee34

Chickeee34 Just Hatched

Oct 1, 2016
    SoCal
    I only have one hygrometer so if I were to do the test I wouldn't be able to see the temp and humidity in my incubator for 6 hours. Also, my bedroom gets really humid during the day but less humid than any other room in my house. I moved it outside during the day and the humidity went down like 4%. I have six holes fore ventilation but covered 2 of them because it seemed to get worse after I made them. I can't cover all of the wholes because the it will overheat.

10. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY

Most salt tests I have seen recommend 12 hours. At this point, especially if you are running dry I'd pull it and perform the test and see how accurate it is. 6-12 hours of not knowing the humidity beats 21 days of trusting a hygrometer that may be way off. Have you checked the air cells of the eggs at all to see if there is growth?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by