Help!

alisonmaria

Hatching
Oct 10, 2016
Florida
Hi everyone!
I have a buff Orpington named Winnie who I thought had respiratory disease, however, it's been 6 days and the broad spectrum has not helped at all. I'm thinking now that it is gape worms . I'm going to tractor supply to get safeguard goat de-wormer because it's inexpensive and I read on a thread somewhere it can be used for chickens.
She's not eating or drinking, her come is very muted almost gray, does anyone have any suggestions, tips, or other medications that are easily available? It really do not want to have to cull my baby
1f629.png

I have attached a video of what she's doing

Hi everyone!
I have a buff Orpington named Winnie who I thought had respiratory disease, however, it's been 6 days and the broad spectrum has not helped at all. I'm thinking now that it is gape worms . I'm going to tractor supply to get safeguard goat de-wormer because it's inexpensive and I read on a thread somewhere it can be used for chickens.
She's not eating or drinking, her come is very muted almost gray, does anyone have any suggestions, tips, or other medications that are easily available? It really do not want to have to cull my baby
1f629.png

I have attached a video of what she's doing
Welcome to BYC. Gapeworm may well be what is wrong with her, although she could have a foreign body stuck in her airway, or possibly have a respiratory disease. Diseases can be from viruses or fungus (mold) which unlike bacterial illnesses won't respond to antibiotics. Look into her throat with a flashlight, just in case something is stuck or growing in her airway. If you get the SafeGuard, give 1/4 ml per pound of weight orally for 5 straight days to treat gapeworms. This will also know out other difficult worms as well, such as capillary worms. Gapeworms cannot be seen by looking into the throat or swabbing with a QTip as some old posts suggest, but only by cutting open the trachea (windpipe) after death. Here is a handy link to read about the most common respiratory diseases, including infectious bronchitis, mycoplasma, coryza, ILT, and aspergillosis: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Here is another link on gapeworm: https://poultrykeeper.com/respiratory-problems/gapeworm/

Last edited:
Thank you so much I started the safeguard fenbendazole 10% suspension today, however I did only about 1/2 ml because that's what I read elsewhere . I'll do your dosage tomorrow and continue for the five days!
Thanks again!!

Do you know about how long before I should see improvement?
She's still wheezing/gaping and squawking I've given her the third dose this morning. She is moving around more and I've started crushing food into the water syringe to give her.
Thanks!

I could not say. When treating a chicken without a vet's expertise and lab work, it can kind of be guesswork to treat for everything it could be--respiratory infection or gapeworms. Hopefully, she will start eating on her own. She might take liquified food in a bowl when she is breathing easier. If she doesn't start improving soon, I would try tube feeding. Casportpony has a good thread with links called "go team tube feeding," which you can also Google.

By treating the bird without a vets approval is counter productive...The Hen could be egg bound and all the meds will not cure that...Nutrition plays a huge part in a Chickens over all health....Bad nutrition = Sick Chickens...The Bird is very sick and giving her a poison to kill worms will not make her feel better...Take her to a vet...

Best of luck...

By treating the bird without a vets approval is counter productive...The Hen could be egg bound and all the meds will not cure that...Nutrition plays a huge part in a Chickens over all health....Bad nutrition = Sick Chickens...The Bird is very sick and giving her a poison to kill worms will not make her feel better...Take her to a vet...

Best of luck...

Thank you for the helpful advice...

I could not say. When treating a chicken without a vet's expertise and lab work, it can kind of be guesswork to treat for everything it could be--respiratory infection or gapeworms. Hopefully, she will start eating on her own. She might take liquified food in a bowl when she is breathing easier. If she doesn't start improving soon, I would try tube feeding. Casportpony has a good thread with links called "go team tube feeding," which you can also Google.
Thank you so much for your help!! Hopefully she'll improve soon I'm going to google team tube feed!!

Back
Top Bottom