Help!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by sliukko, Nov 2, 2016.

1. sliukko

sliukko Just Hatched

Nov 2, 2016
    [​IMG]Hello All, so glad to be a part of such a neat thing...I'm in desperate need of help. I have a Delaware rooster. He was hatched in July. Actually, I just realized yesterday he was a rooster. He has always been bigger than my others, but is now starting to get big tail feathers and a comb. He is so sweet, but as he's growing, one of his legs is slowly getting worse. I don't rearly know a lot about chickens at all. It's at like a 90 degree angle. I can tell it hurts if I touch it.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
  2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Has it always been bent this way, or has it been broken recently??? If recent, then maybe try some type of splint. If long term, then a corrective type of splint. I'm sure there are many reading this post and are thinking soup.. Not I. I am in a similar boat as you with 2 of my pigeons 3 months old. Their feet are spread apart. I installed a banding type of contraption to hold their feet as best positioned as I could. They do hop around and seem fine. When I do take off to change with new, they are not able to stand AT ALL.

WISHING YOU BEST and [​IMG]

3. sliukko

sliukko Just Hatched

Nov 2, 2016
    Thank you...yea, definitely not soup for me either...he is too sweet and I could never. Haha. That's what I was thinking is a splint, but I was just scared to hurt him. I can tell he's in pain. He seems to keep up with the others, but getting worse. I don't think a break. I noticed when he was pretty young, but just didn't know enough about chickens to even realize it would be an issue. Poor guy.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    What a shame. You might try posting in the "emergencies, diseases, injuries, cures, "thread with good pictures to show how he carries that leg.

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
  6. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Hope your boy's leg gets better soon.

7. sliukko

sliukko Just Hatched

Nov 2, 2016
    Thank you so very much everyone. I sure appreciate it

8. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined us! Like the others, best wishes and a fast recovery for your Delaware! [​IMG]

9. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hi there, and welcome to Backyard Chickens! So glad you could join us, and I hope you make yourself at home here!

10. RADjr

RADjr Just Hatched

Oct 30, 2016
    North central Illinois
    welcome.what did u do for the leg?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by