Help!!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chubby4chickens, Nov 6, 2016.

1. chubby4chickens

chubby4chickens New Egg

Oct 28, 2016
    No mans land, Oklahoma
    My E.E. is starting to attack her brood box mates , and over night devoured two tails on my black laced wyndottes. How do i treat my hurt babies.:(
    They were just fine yesterday, i dont understand what triggerd it . What medication or ointment should i use???
    Is vasaline a bad idea??? Please and thank you everyone.

2. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri

Move aggressive bird to another location. What are you feeding birds? How much space to they have and how many birds present?

3. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Hi, welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

How old are they? Put the aggressor in a time out box.

@centrarchid has good questions.

If the tails are red looking and invite more pecking, Blu Kote is recommended.

4. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I treat such damage with Blu Kote. Apply it to wound site.

5. EggSighted4Life

Also, if they are under a heat lamp still... make sure it is red. Huge difference in how my broods behaved. An instant calm came when I switched to red!

6. chubby4chickens

chubby4chickens New Egg

Oct 28, 2016
    No mans land, Oklahoma
    Thank you for responding . I'm giving them some medicated starter scratch, with a grain mix. We have 19 babies. The brood box is 4×4 ft with two levels to roost. The girls are 6 weeks today. I put the crimminal in a separate bird cage and my two worst girls went in another enclosure.

7. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri

You are likely seeing onset of cannibalism. Cease the grain mix as it is diluting protein intake I associate most with cannibalisms. Brooder size starting to get tight for that many birds. Condsider putting them in to larger coop, ideally with run. Move alone should suppress cannibalism for a short time.

Tell more about the medicated starter "scratch". Indicate proper brand, protein level, and run date. You need to have bag in hand for that.

1 person likes this.
  8. EggSighted4Life

Oh ya.... time to get a larger space.

And as already pointed out... nutrition may be your big issue. [​IMG]

Get your chicks into a day time run for some extra space, out doors if weather permits. You will see wing flapping, jumping, running. If you can't do that, bring in some dirt for them to play in.

9. chubby4chickens

chubby4chickens New Egg

Oct 28, 2016
    No mans land, Oklahoma
    It's Purina start and grow medicated formula with 18 % protien . The grains we mixed in are purina scratch grains.

10. chubby4chickens

chubby4chickens New Egg

Oct 28, 2016
    No mans land, Oklahoma

NOW I FEEL LIKE A BAD PARENT ....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by