1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. sara bb

sara bb Out Of The Brooder

Dec 23, 2014
    I have a 4 year old much loved hen & about 2 months ago she became unwell & went off the lay. I wormed her with Aviverm from the vet she picked up but slowly deteriorated. I rewormed her 6 weeks after the initial dose as I was advised by the vet to do & again she picked up but went back down again. I took her to the vet yday they have given her an antibiotic (Doxy) which she's had 2 doses of. She seems not a lot better.
    Her symptoms are a very sticky smelly gleat, little to no appetite (she's only interested in moths & bugs), she seems to go in & out of trances with her eyes dilating. She'll come to & briefly eat before almost falling asleep on her feet. Plus she's quite huffy. And gets huffier after I've force fed her with a syringe. She hasn't lost weight but the vet said her muscle mass is declining.
    The vet said if these antibiotics don't work by tomorrow they'll treat her for a fungal infection.
    Does anyone have any idea what she could be suffering from? And is there anymore I can do for her? Plus how much food should I be giving her by syringe? It's quite a traumatic process [​IMG]

2. mg15

mg15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2012
    I hope she does not have egg peritonitis. having those rotten eggs
    in her abdomen can cause a foul smell.
    and her crop is she digesting all food during the nite
    and is it flat when she is up in the a.m.?

3. Sony57

Sony57 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2014
    Hello Sara,

I have no answers for you but I feel for your pain. I really don't know what I would do, but really feel for you. I would try to make sure what you are giving her is in paste form since it is possible to drown a chicken using liquid form. If she wants moth and bugs that is what I would focus on. If she can eat on her own it is better than being given it forcefully.

4. sara bb

Dec 23, 2014
    How would I know if it was egg peritonitis? And no I don't think she is digesting her food properly!! There certainly was food in her crop this morning. I'll check again tomorrow. The vet did check if she had an egg stuck but couldn't feel anything. I'm taking her back to the vet tomorrow it's very difficult though. They don't seem to know much about chooks[​IMG]

5. mg15

Aug 22, 2012
    the way I found out was an X-ray of her abdomen. I have had two hens
    have this awful egg peritonitis.

6. sara bb

Dec 23, 2014
    And what was the treatment given for the peritonitis? Thank you for your help.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
  7. mg15

Aug 22, 2012
    Well it depends on age sometimes.
    I am looking for a great thread on BYC
    but the idea is anti biotics with prednisone.
    also some are spayed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by