Help

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by abc77, Feb 15, 2017.

1. abc77

abc77 New Egg

Feb 15, 2017
    Hi, I bought 1 baby yellow baby duckling and 1 baby chick on 2/13/17. I have them in the house in a box with water and feed I received from the guy selling them. The chick is doing great. The duckling is not eating, but he does drink when I put him in water. I tried wetting his food and feeding him but he wont eat. He is always trying to sleep. The both have access to water and food. I tried feeding him a worm but he seemed uninterested so I put it down and the chick at it up quickly. I don't know what to do. I keep checking on the duckling all day and try to feed it by hand but I have not had any success. He just wants to sleep.

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Can you describe your brooder set up to us? What are you feeding them? How does the duck's poop look?

You really need at least two ducklings and at least two chicks. They need to be with their own kind. Chickens need other chickens and ducks need other ducks to be happy.

3. abc77

abc77 New Egg

Feb 15, 2017
    I have them both in a cardboard in our bathroom. there is a heater in there to keep them warm. they have hay in the box with a small bowl and a bowl of feed the people who breed them gave me. I have tried to feed the baby duck wet bread, worms, feed that is wet. I have had no luck feeding it. He just leans against the box or the chick with his eyes closed. he cries if I take him out of the box to let him walk on the floor. He does love to be held but he instantly falls asleep.

4. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    You don't have them warm enough. You might have a heater in there, but is it keeping the room at 95 degrees? I doubt that. Get them a heat source asap, such as a heat lamp or a heating pad. The duckling is very likely too cold and freezing to death.

Also go back to the person you bought them from and get one more chick and one more duckling so they each have a friend.

And make sure what he gave you is a chick feed. If you don't know what you're actually feeding them, that is not good.

And don't give them any more treats without giving them grit. In fact, provide them grit right away so that the chick can actually digest the worm you fed it.

After all that's done, please look into some articles about proper chick and duckling care, like this one, this one, and this one. I don't mean to chastise you but this seems a lot like they were an impulse purchase and you don't know their needs or how to care for them. They are living animals and you need to take proper care of them or they will die.

And also, I'm just noticing this was posted in the new member section, so :welcome! I hope you stick around and learn about your new additions. With proper care they will grow to be great additions and you will really enjoy them :)

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
    2 people like this.
  5. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Pyxis has given you some excellent advice, I hope it helps you figure out what's going on. Please keep us posted on how things are going for your 2.

6. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under abc77 [​IMG] Welcome!

I definitely can not top the excellent advice you have already received from Pyxis.

Best of luck with your little ones!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    It would be a very good idea if you read the information the "Learning Center," has available. Just click on the brown box above.

8. abc77

abc77 New Egg

Feb 15, 2017
    I went to the feed store & purchaced baby duck feed. I put some in a bowl with water & feed duckling with a syringe. He did eat a little. 1 1/2 later he died.

9. abc77

abc77 New Egg

Feb 15, 2017
    My son is devastated. The baby duck was so cute. This has been a sad day for our family. We fell in love with him. I dont know if he was already sick or if I could done wrong done something wrong. We going back to the breeder on Sat to get 2 duckling this time. Wish us luck. Were going to try this again.

10. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Please read what I posted before doing that. You did do something wrong. It doesn't sound like you corrected the actual problem which was the lack of a heat lamp or other heat source. Getting duckling feed is a step in the right direction but you need to correct the other problems or these two will just die as well.

I'm sorry you lost him, but please get a heat lamp and read the articles I posted before you get any more babies. They are living, breathing beings. They need proper care to survive.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by