Help!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CarolynBradford, Feb 15, 2017.

1. CarolynBradford

CarolynBradford New Egg

Feb 13, 2017
    what in the world does this mean? This is from my Red Star.[​IMG]

2. braehedge

braehedge Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2017
    Nova Scotia
    Was there a rooster in her pen?

3. CarolynBradford

CarolynBradford New Egg

Feb 13, 2017
    We don't think so!! Now I am wondering!

4. braehedge

braehedge Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2017
    Nova Scotia
    How old is your hen? We often get red spots in eggs from older hens, but my first thought was that the egg was fertilized. If she's just older, the red spots don't hurt anything and are just visually unappealing. We scoop them out with a spoon.

5. CarolynBradford

CarolynBradford New Egg

Feb 13, 2017
    She's just started laying!

6. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    The presense/absence of a rooster is not an issue in this case - the object shown in the picture is not related to fertility/infertility of an egg.

This is a "meat spot" - simply a piece of tissue from the reproductive tract that has come away during the formation of the egg and become enclosed within the egg. They are nothing to be concerned about and can either be mixed in/eaten with the rest of the egg or picked out if one is squeamish

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

It's just a blood or meat spot.

When you buy commercial eggs, they've been candled (a bright light shone through the shell) and any with those spots have been sorted out. They're far more common than most folks realize. It's just a little glitch in a layer's system. common in new layers, or hens coming back into lay after molting, or high production breeds like sex links. Nothing to worry about with your hen, she's fine.

I just use a fork and pick it out and eat the rest of the egg. Or, if it's not much, just mix it in.

Agree it has nothing to do with fertility.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by