1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. lalo navarro

lalo navarro Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2016
    Fort Worth Texas
    [​IMG] something is wrong with my big girls eye it's really really swollen I have no clue what to do any info is appreciated

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Look to see if there is drainage or pus in the eye, and look for any peck marks or stings around the eye. Does she have any nasal drainage, sneeze/cough, or noisy breathing? Sinus infection from mycoplasma (MG) or coryza could be a problem if she has labored breathing, but sometimes a peck or sting can cause eye swelling. Does she have any bad odor around her face? Dust or ammonia odors in the coop can add to respiratory infections. Tylan 50 injectable 1-1 1/2 ml twice a day given orally for 5 days would be a good treatment for a respiratory infection. You would need a needle and syringe to withdrawl it from the vial.

3. lalo navarro

lalo navarro Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2016
    Fort Worth Texas
    She's fine no funny noises nothing she's eating and drinking regularly she doesn't stink I think the rooster may have pecked her eye I noticed this morning I caught him on top of her and he pretty much bite the top of her head and holds it until he's done I've separated her from the others I'm gonna check her eye for puss today on my lunch break. It may be time for that rooster to go she's my sweetest one.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Open her eye and have a look for mucus, pus, or bubbles. If nothing there, leave it alone. Saline can be good to flush out the eye. If there is pus or drainage, clean it out, and apply Terramycin Eye ointment found in feed stores (ask for it) or Vetericyn Eye Gel. Note any dirt around nostrils which could be a sign of nasal drainage.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by