Help!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by hmgardner, Mar 7, 2017.

1. hmgardner

hmgardner New Egg

Mar 7, 2017
    I need help. I had to pull eggs from under a hen tonight because she killed a baby and ate some of it. I was afraid she would kill the others. it looks like she started eating another egg. It has a hole in it. I have moved the eggs to an incubator to finish the incubation, they should be hatching any day. I can see this one chick moving in the egg, but I'm afraid it will dry out before hatching. I can see some of the yolk still in the egg, so I know its still early. what can I do to make sure that it doesn't dry out? I can tell the membrane is already starting to shrivel up.

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Sounds like you got a "mess", but welcome to the board. Were these eggs all set/put under the hen at the exact same time or you just allowed her nest to keep getting eggs added? If you got the humidity right in the incubator and keep it closed the egg should not dry out----if that was what you were asking?

3. hmgardner

hmgardner New Egg

Mar 7, 2017
    [​IMG]these were all put under her at the same time. I put a piece of plastic wrap on top of the hole. I can see the baby moving around. I just don't want to loose it. yes, I am afraid it will dry out because of the hole that is in it.

4. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    OK. I missed the hole part----is it time for it to hatch?? If so I sure would not block its breathing hole ----are you seeing the beak in this hole?? If so---don't block it. If its not time for them to hatch---then you do what you feel you need to do. Good Luck!

5. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    How big is the hole and is it possible it is a pip and not from the hen? If so I would not cover it either. What you can do is use a light coat of Vaseline or non pain formula neosporin on the exposed membrane to keep it from drying out.

6. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Btw :welcome

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by