Help

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by chicklady2468, Mar 10, 2017.

1. chicklady2468

chicklady2468 New Egg

Mar 10, 2017
    Hi, I'm new here. I need some help. I have an adult hen (australorp) 2 years old.that was perfectly fine yesterday. I came home from work today and she was inside the coop gasping and making a wheezing sound. She stretches her neck up as she gasps for air.

As I was checking her throats she bit me in my finger so hard that it bleed. I thought maybe she had something stuck in her throat, but I couldn't see anything. She's not eating or drinking right now. She just sits there and is wheezing and gasping. I have about 13 hens and she's the only one acting like this. Does anyone know what this could be? I'm really concerned about her.

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
  3. chicklady2468

chicklady2468 New Egg

Mar 10, 2017
    Yes I did that after I realized I posted this in the wrong spot, but thank you for the advise.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Maybe she ate something that is stuck in her throat. Hope the E/R folks can help you

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, chicklady, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined us! Sure hope that your hens is okay! [​IMG] Best wishes and keep us posted!

6. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

How's your girl doing today? Hope things are looking better.

7. chicklady2468

chicklady2468 New Egg

Mar 10, 2017
    She is still the same this morning. Just gasping for air and sitting in the corner. I gave her some water with a syringe and she made a gurgling sound drinking it. I checked her throat with a quip for gapeworm, but nothing was on qtip. I'm not sure what is going on, but I hate for her to suffer like this. Maybe she had something stuck in her throat, i didn't see anything in there. Her crop is fine. I may have to have my husband put her down, which he doesn't want to do. Thank you for the replies. [​IMG]

8. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello, and welcome to Backyard chickens! I am so glad that you joined us, and I hope you will make yourself at home here and enjoy it as much as I have! :frow

~Cuz

9. chicklady2468

chicklady2468 New Egg

Mar 10, 2017
    Unfortunately we had to put our hen Lotte down this morning. She was still gasping for air and she looked like she was suffering. What a sad day [​IMG]

10. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under chicklady2468 [​IMG] Welcome!

I am so very sorry to hear that news [​IMG] RIP Lotte.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by