HELP

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Spring, Jul 19, 2007.

1. Spring

Spring Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2007
    My baby chicks will be a week old on the 24th. How long do they need a light?

How long should I keep them in the box indoors?

I'm in So. Cal. so its pretty warm. Also I only have 6 of them (all female, I hope). In the coop outside I've got a pair of silkies.

When can we take them outside for some "playtime in the sun"?

THANKS

2. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

It's been pretty warm out so they will be OK during the day, especially if it gets hot in your house. I kept a fan on for mine during the day (not directly on them, though) so it wouldn't get too hot.
    Keep a light on them at night until they feather out a bit more. Rule of thumb is to start at 90-95 degrees and drop 5 degrees every week.
    I usually boot mine out of the house at 4 weeks or so in the summer and keep them in a chicken tractor inside the run. Make sure it's rat/mouse/cat etc proof.
    If they are being raised by momma, they go out at 2-3 weeks.

3. Spring

Jul 10, 2007
    Quote:Why would you say (rat, mouse protected?) I think we have rats/ mice around out there. Will they harm the other chickens? Big chicken? Iv'e been wondering whats wrong with my grown ones.... Just sleeping all the time and won't crow.

4. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    Baby chicks need a temperature of 99-100 degrees when they hatch and for the first week afterward. That temperature is then lowered by 5 degrees every week until they reach room temperature. Or outside temp if you have the brooder outside or in a coop, shed, etc. Since they are a week old, they need about 95 degrees, so if it's around 95 degrees outside, yes you can take them out. Just watch them to see if they begin to huddle and cheep loudly, they may be cold. They are not ready to be without their heat light until they are nearly feathered out, around 6-8 weeks. You said you have a coop outside, if you have room you can divide off an area for them with wire and put your heat light out there. IT MUST BE FASTENED SECURELY so there is absolute NO way it can fall into the bedding and start a fire. Be sure there is enough area that they can get away from the heat when to coop heats up during the afternoons but snuggle back under it when the coop cools off at night. By putting them in the coop, your silkies will get to know them as they grow up and then when they are old enough you can take down the wire and leave them all together.

5. Spring

Jul 10, 2007
    Quote:THANKS!!! Hey.... I love that verse you have as your Siggy!! Very cool!!! I'm a believer too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by